This guy breaks an iPad 3 DODO case over his knee

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ipXpert, Mar 31, 2012.

1. ipXpert macrumors newbie

I watched the link below to the DODO vs Portenzo review and can sympathize with the guy. I have been using DODO for a long time now and have had to buy one new and had two replaced under warranty only after explaining how irate I was that the corner cracked off while I was putting my iPad back into the case. I also had the same corner issues.

Until this review I didnt know there were any other cases like DODO but I have found a couple. One of them is Portenzo and that is what is being reviewed in this YouTube video. The others I looked at are Germanmade, PadQuil, and Rook.

All of the others look to be better made than the DODO. After a couple reviews including this one, I am going to order my iPad 3 case from Portenzo. Take a hard look at Germanmade if you have the money. Nice stuff!

I like these style of cases because I can use my iPad without being the douche in the room with the ipad. They look more like a book than a geek tool. Matter of fact, Rook uses actual books to make their cases. *I'm a paraplegic (got a bit unlucky in Somalia) and get looked at enough . I don't need any more attention. I volunteered to serve, I did, no regrets.

You might like the end. He kills a brand new DoDo. Gotta love passion. So many reviews seem scripted and stale. This is a bit rough but gets the point across.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ohOoYm6MnY

2. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

3. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

i like this guy.

on a side note. i really do wonder if the new intellistand helps with warping... guess i'll find out in a few months

4. ipXpert thread starter macrumors newbie

I kind of thought the same at first then I watched some other reviews on these types of cases. Everyone acts like they want to be some kind of reporter for Gizmodo. This guy at least seems real and he states this is his first review. I cut him some slack but look forward to him breaking something else next time. I do wonder what the guy was drinking in that glass.... Any guesses?

5. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

A less angry review of the Portenzo here:

http://netreviewshq.com/reviews/2012/4/22/portenzo-bookcase-for-the-new-ipad.html

6. sally456 macrumors member

7. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Did you watch the video? Sheesh.

8. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I wish I could view the entire video. You tube is not loading all the way and video keeps stalling. So annoying!

9. ZipZap macrumors 601

Great video and great review.

I would have returned the DODO to ensure that they did not get one more dime from me, but to each his own.

10. spice weasel macrumors 65816

No, you really don't. I watched most of it before I got bored and turned it off. A 15 minute review of two iPad cases is about three times as long as it should be.

I'll give you the synopsis here: The Dodo case sucks and breaks all the time, while the Portenzo is well-built and has better customer service.

I just saved you 15 minutes of your life :D

11. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I skipped through and found the breakage part and didn't watch the rest!

12. beauparc macrumors member

How can anyone talk for so long about a wretched iPad case? He needs to get out a lot more.

13. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Lol thanks! Is anyone else having you tube loading issues?

14. BiggAW macrumors 68020

It's gotten a lot better in the last few months for me.

15. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

How did it get better? I didn't know there's been iOS updates. Or has you tube been fixing things on their end?

16. ipXpert thread starter macrumors newbie

Another review coming up. Will it blend?

The next review this guy is supposed to do is for some cases that cost about $150 each. I wonder if he will use the same knee or go for the blender.... I understand busting up a DoDo (they do suck) but Im not sure if Pad, German, or Portenzo deserve the same fate. Maybe I can buy second place.

Does anyone here have a case from Portenzo, Germanmade, or Pad&Quill? Im not sure what to buy next. Im already bored with my current case.

I really like the moleskin style and that is why I am looking at these companies. Any other companies cases I should be looking at or have you had personal experience with any of these mentioned?

http://youtu.be/3ohOoYm6MnY

17. jamesschmidtke macrumors regular

I'm about to buy the German made g2 in a bout a month. Hopefully when iPhone 5 is released and they've cut dimensions for it in the bottom tray.

18. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

There's something about paraplegics who show off a lot in public that really takes the piss out of me. Thank you, OP, for not following that trend.

19. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

It's a DODO for a reason... Thanks to its built quality, it's probably gonna go extinct soon.

20. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Naw, that's all good, CIO. I'm talking about the guys who take out their iPads in Starbucks to show off.

21. glen e macrumors 68030

22. ipXpert thread starter macrumors newbie

The guy who did the first video where he smashes the dodo case over his knee did a 5 case shootout, I mean shootout.

He has his 6 or something like that year old son use a real pistol to execute the looser of the case review. I must say, the kids a pretty good shot when it comes to killing iPad cases.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF8DrkvdQ5U

I think the biggest thing I got out of this review was one, I suck at contests. He is giving away a free $100 ipad and there is a company that makes a case that will sort of eliminate your man purse or keep your pockets from bulging so much. The reviews a new case company, new to me at least. Germanmade. The case will hold... I talk about it in another thread but if you want the link now. Unless you speak German, you have to click the English link at the top right.Check the G2, Expensive but nice and different.https://www.germanmadepunkt.de/