This has gotten confusing...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by illcoolz, Mar 10, 2015.

1. illcoolz macrumors member

illcoolz

Hey guys,

Since Apple unveiled the Apple Watch in September, I've been considering getting the SS with the classic buckle strap. However, I just realised how much of a finger print magnet it will be from the sides, and definitely the back. That will get to me a lot. My second option is the space grey sport model, but the only problem with that is that the other straps wont work well with it.

So I'm quite confused on which to go for, the SS that looks classier but will smudge like crazy, or the cool looking space grey sport, that will not smudge (the case), and I can wear to the gym.

One minute I tell myself I am getting the SS, and the other I tell myself I am getting the SG sport. So what to do?

Is there anyone else facing a confusion similiar to this?

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

3. illcoolz thread starter macrumors member

illcoolz

I'd rather buy a Rolex.

4. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Yes. Me. I've had identical thoughts.

You forget one thing: the space grey is £180 cheaper. Actually for you it's even more because you want the classic buckle.

But let me confuse you more. Someone suggested the silver Sport with Milanese loop. The computer rendering of it looks fantastic. But then you'd have to buy the silver Sport -- but with which strap? They're all awful apart from the black, and you can't get that with the silver.

5. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

EXACTLY my scenario. But the Sport is in my price range, so I will need to choose one from that collection.

6. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

What is the problem? Buy the Sport for $350 (or400). Then pay $150 for the band. The color rubber band came with the sport won't matter one bit.

----------

No. Just do what I told the other guy. Buy a sport (to avoid smudges) then buy a seperate Classic Buckle band for $150. And done.

7. illcoolz thread starter macrumors member

illcoolz

I think it would only work if I buy the silver aluminum. Space grey feels like it wont work as well with the classic buckle, especially since the the buckle itself is stainless steel.

8. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Your phone screen gets all finger printed up and you survive that okay.

I'll just end up using my sleeve to shine it up once in awhile. Plus not to worried about the BACK getting smudged up. It will get a good wipe down every night when it gets plugged in.

Gotta go SS because of all the band choices.

9. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I was exactly. Now I've decided on a space grey sports /black strap and will either buy or swap the other smaller band included for a white strap - as I think the space grey sports edition looks great with the white band.

10. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

I've had a SS Movado for 10 years. Smudging is not a problem.

IF forwahtever reason you decide you want to touch it all over and the sides and get it smudged up, a quick clean using your shirt would work.

11. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Earlier today I saw this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwl1XSaUTQU

And now the Sport SG is dead to me.

So now I'm thinking: Sport with black strap that I pay extra for.

Or go the whole hog and get an SS with black strap. And maybe treat myself to a posh strap for Christmas.

12. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

There are much better SG Sports videos around if you look. That video doesn't give a great/long look at it.

13. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

Or three Oris

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

My mind is set on the 42mm SS. As far as the band goes I'm leaning toward Milanese loop but need to see the loop in person to see how strong the magnets are. If they aren't as strong as I'd like I'm going for classic buckle.

15. Sharkey311 Suspended

I'm in the same exact boat. I've come down to these two options; get the crazy expensive SG Steel one or the Silver Sport one. The latter has the most band options and is less expensive. The former has better materials for it but less band options and looks extremely nice.

If it wasn't for the price, I would get the SG Steel one in a heartbeat.

There was something I was pondering earlier today about it though; The band for the SG Steel is $450 dollars of the watch that will be compatible for future models/upgrades. You sell the watch portion with a sport band or something and just keep the band as the investment.

That's the only way I could justify the price.

16. Mabus51 macrumors 6502

Pretty sure the Milanese stainless steel band on an aluminum body not only would corrode but possibly permanently bond to the watch body. In other words, not a good idea to mix metals. But I could be wrong on this.

17. Sharkey311 Suspended

Interesting, I have never heard of stainless steel and aluminum not getting along. Do you have any more info on that?

18. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

A Rolex will also show tons of fingerprints on the polished steel parts. It's just part of the deal.

19. illcoolz thread starter macrumors member

illcoolz

I own a Rolex DateJust 2, and you are completely right. I see it mostly on the bracelet, but not on the case or the bezel, because I am not constantly going to the be touching the case or bezel. I also don't wear my Rolex all the time, where as the Apple Watch I will be wearing it quite frequently. Know what I mean?

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Problem solved:

[​IMG]

Many SS watches in the wild. First time I've heard that concern. But an occasional wipe down -- as every owner of any watch should do fixes any dirt issues. Also I seriously doubt people are going to be looking that close to your watch to notice.

21. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I consider Rolex something that one wears in all instances, getting beat up along the way, but good point about touching the case of the Watch all of the time. Either way, it's just a quick wipe down with a shirt. No biggie.