This HDD issue is turning into a real nightmare

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ravich, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

Basically I was having issues with my external HDD. When copying certain files to it, it would hang. I couldnt stop the transfer, and it wouldnt let me shut down because the finder was busy, so I had to do a hard shut down, and if the HDD was still connected, my macbook couldnt get past the blank blue screen. I would have to disconnect the firewire cable, and then restart again. It has done this once since I got my internal HDD replaced by apple.

My macbook actually started having issues of its own that I am hoping were completely independent of the external HDD problems. Either way, I had to get my internal HDD replaced by apple (restored from a disc image). This didnt fix the problems though, so I am planning on sending my external HDD (rocstor) in to get it replaced.

But the issue seems to go both ways. I cant copy certain folders from the HDD either. The only difference is that when copying from rather than to my external HDD, it actually indicates what went wrong with an error (could not copy specific file because of an error) and then stops the process.

I tried different cables and FW400 instead of FW800 and it didnt help, other than that it stalled much earlier in the process. Other distressing things are happening, such as a couple of days ago my macbook wouldnt recognize any of my external HDDs until I restarted. Currently, it just failed at copying a folder, and now when I try to copy a folder from the external drive, it doesnt indicate that there is a copying process going, just that the folder that appears on my desktop is a different color (slightly faded, like a folder that hasnt been burned to a blank CD).

Anyway, I guess I wanted to ask 3 questions

1) Does this look like a problem that any of you might be familiar with? I guess it just bothers me that the issues dont really seem to be separate between my external HDD and my macbook.

2) When the copying process hangs, is there anything I can do other than either disconnect the harddrive or do a hard shutdown?

3) What is the best way to back up my files since just copying them wont work? I have a different, working 500GB external drive, and I have about 530GB of stuff on my "special" external drive.

2. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Probably a dodgy firewire interface on the hard drive. Try connecting the HD to another machine.

4. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I successfully copied a problem folder using a USB connection...

I guess that means it probably is the FW port on the external drive. It has 2 FW800 ports though, and neither work. My other external HDD seems to do just fine with a FW800 connection to my laptop though...

Anyway, now I have a way of backing up files, and I can send it in. Thanks!

5. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Both firewire ports will be driven by the same firewire chip, so if it's duff then neither will work. Needs mending with a new one! :)

6. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay... so I backed up about half of the folders that I wanted to. I came back to find the process finished except for one of the folders because the folder game from my old old windows HDD several years back. Something about not having the needed privelages. The process ended by itself for an unclear reason (only about 33% through) and now my external drive wont appear at all.

I restarted it, restarted my laptop, etc. Nothing. When I go to disk utility, the drive shows up, but the partition is greyed out, but not the volume.

*gun in mouth*