This health app is going to kill out battery, isn't it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AdamA9, Sep 15, 2014.

1. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Just reading about how the phone can track steps, elevation and all that jazz to make you healthier. However, I cannot see how this won't affect the battery life if it is constantly 'on', with tracking all this stuff. I am sure it has been tested, but we were led to believe background app refresh was tested before lots complained that ate up a bunch of battery life too.

Does anyone else have reservations, or a better understanding of how this technology works?

http://news.health.com/2014/09/09/7-cool-things-the-new-iphone-health-app-can-do/

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I have been using the iOS 8 betas with my iPhone 5s, and it does not affect battery life.

This is because of the introduction of the M7 with the iPhone 5s (and continuation with the M8 on the 6). This chip specifically is used to track all of this motion data, without constantly waking the main CPU (which is the main cause of battery drain). The M7/M8 just stores all of the motion data. When you open the Health app, the data is then pulled and updates the Dashboards in the app.

It's the same deal as all of the other apps that have been tracking motion data since the release of the iPhone 5s with the M7 last year. Tons of apps have been tracking steps, etc. since then, and seem to be doing fine.

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

As I understand it, the point of the M7 is to do all that stuff with a minimal impact on battery life.

4. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

Used this on the Note 3 all last year and it didn't hinder battery life one bit.

Then again the battery life on all note devices is ridiculously good.

You shouldn't have to worry about it, especially if you have the 6+

5. emoose macrumors newbie

This is correct. The M7 is a very low power consumption micro controller whose only purpose is to collect and store sensor data.

It runs a a max of 150 mhz and is running all the time regardless of weather you use the health app. The same story is true with the M7 in the 5S which is used by mostly 3rd party applications and there is not impact as a result of the M7 collecting data.

6. Sherifftruman, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I have a Withings Pulse, which seems to do much of what the M7/8 processor does as a stand alone. It is very small and the battery - maybe 18x9x3mm (my first one fell of the clip and got run over by a car before I could get back to it so I got to see the insides :D ) and it lasts 10 days to two weeks on a charge.

7. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah brilliant, thanks for the info.