This Helped Someone's Carpal-tunnel Go Away

Lorica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
midwest
Hi - I just like to pass on helpful ideas. The URl is tricky getting onto here, but if you go to Google and type in "Joel May My Carpal-Tunnel solution" you will see how the man has positioned his keyboard and his Wacom tablet so that he uses them standing up. He says this made his carpal tunnel go away. I am definitely planning to try his solution myself, though I admit I have not had the time to set things up like that yet.
His ideas make sense to me based on body positioning.

Lorica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
midwest
Hi DX - Never heard of a power ball before. If you dont' mind, when you say "very effective" could you give details, like: used to need a hand brace but now are pain free, or whatever. Are those gadgets easy to operate? I am not very athletic (though I do exercise daily) and certainly not impressively technologically gifted.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Lorica said:
Hi DX - Never heard of a power ball before. If you dont' mind, when you say "very effective" could you give details, like: used to need a hand brace but now are pain free, or whatever. Are those gadgets easy to operate? I am not very athletic (though I do exercise daily) and certainly not impressively technologically gifted.
It puts a force in your hand.. you can control it by slowly moving your wrist around. It strengthens your forearms and after doing it for a few weeks I've noticed a big improvement in my wrists feeling better.

They don't take a lot of athletic ability, it's more of a coordination thing. Practice makes perfect.

One noticable improvement besides strength is my wrists no longer "click" when I move them. To me. Worth the $40 or ~$50 if you buy from the website.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I Google'd that, and the only result was this thread. And idiot me, I clicked on it, and ended up back here. :D

I do use my iBook and iMac standing up sometimes at home. They're on top of a low bookshelf, like this:

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
CrackedButter said:
You could also buy a Evoluent mouse, all the buttons are on the side instead of being ontop. Forces you to hold your mouse like a beer glass.
Holding a beer glass can help my carpal-tunnel? Awesome. Thanks for the tip!