This http://abs.apple.com/tcat/ is NOT Bad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lamarak, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Lamarak macrumors 6502

This address is not bad if get in email for confirmation. If notice it asks for a sales number. That is different than the Order number that starts with a "W". The sales number youll find in the title in the email they send you saying there is a problem. The employee at the apple store had me go to this site and enter my email and the SALES order number in the title of the email saying there is a problem. Then you are asked to agree to terms and conditions, that might have been missed when ordered.

Hope this helps

2. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Yea, right... I don't know what that site does, but I'm reporting it. It's not an Apple website, it's asking for some personal information. Just look at the page source, not even close to what Apple uses. On top of that, the page itself is very broken, and doesn't even look like a legitimate Apple website.

You're a sick individual if you're trying to get people's information.:mad:

3. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Wow you're completely bonkers.

5. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Not sure why you posted this. But yeah, anything that has apple.com in the domain is Apple's. It doesn't matter what comes before it, or after, if you see .apple.com, it's fine.

6. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

7. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

8. KingHuds macrumors 6502

http://[I]abs[/I].apple.com/tcat/

Its an Apple domain, the bold part shows that. The abs is a subdomain, and the tcat at the end is just the web page. Yes its from Apple, and yes its fine to input your info.

9. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

This is clearly an old Apple page that they don't use anymore. You see the weird visual bug in the nav at the top? That's because the highlight script is configured for the old 7 button layout (no iPad button). Once they added the iPad button, they needed to go through all parts of their website and update the mouseover highlight script for the 8 button layout.

On some older pages that they don't use anymore, they updated the actual nav image to show 8 buttons, but they never properly updated the highlight script. So if you look carefully, the areas that it highlights as you move your mouse across it are the exact areas where the previous 7 button images used to be. Each button was a little wider than it is now. They made them all shorter to sqeeze the "iPad" button in there.

Parts of the Apple developer website are still like this, and it's a tell-tale sign of a legitimate Apple page that has been decommissioned. It's definitely not a phishing website or anything else of the sort. As many other people have pointed out, it's a subdomain of apple.com. It looks like it's just a page they used to use for old iPhone activations years ago and it doesn't even work anymore.

If you don't know enough about web applications and domain hosting to tell the difference, that's fine, but do NOT go inciting a panic by pretending you do know. That's how these things spin out of control.

10. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Well then, my mistake. It's just awful fishy to post something to a weird Apple website, even if it is from the domain, it doesn't look like something that Apple would let the general public see.

Also, the OP's lack of information, lack of proper English, and newly joined user status threw off more flags for me. Then on top of that, telling me that this screwy website is "NOT Bad" throws off a few more flags.

There is way too much wrong with the website. The messed up menu (which can apparently be explained by the lack of iPad button from mrblack927). I also noticed the copyright of 2009 at the bottom, plus the fact that the store button is broken as well.

So, why would the OP post something that looks fishy, admits that it's fishy, but leaves us no information on what it's supposed to do. I'm still unsure what the point of the website is. All I know is that it asks for an email address and the Sales Order number. The OP explains that customer service sent him there, and that's about it.

I don't think I'm "completely bonkers." I think I have common sense. I don't care if it is a subdomain of Apple. Messed up website, weird OP post, telling me to trust it... something doesn't seem right to me.

Also, I do know a little about websites. Obviously I do if I looked at the page source, and the structure doesn't match what Apple uses for the rest of the website. The comments left seem very unprofessional. You're right about the domain hosting. I don't know too much about it, but I do know it's very un-Apple like to have a web address that's completely non-descriptive such as the one posted.

I'm sorry about the mistake.