Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Someone dropped this iBook off to me this week to look at it because it was slow.
I think this iBook has more than a slow problem. Not only is it slow which will be easy to fix, but it has HD errors up the yang, takes forever to boot, and has the most odd video problem. The S# indicates that it was eligible for the logic board replacement but I think that has since expired.
I also got a darwin login error with a command line.
-800mhz G3
-128mb
-combo, 30gb
-12"
Here's some video and a pic of the error.
Movie
Login Error

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
looks like you are dealing with some pretty serious hardware issues. My first guess with all those symptoms would indeed be that logic board.

--now its just a matter of whether you want to spend the time and resources to get it fixed. Hope it all works out alright, and ps, if you can back anything up, I would do that as soon as possible

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Phone Apple and see if they'll fix the logic board. It IS faulty, and it WAS covered by their logic board program. I don't think that should expire, as it was an admission by Apple that there was a quality issue.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
According to the link at Apple here. :

How long is the Expanded iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program available?
The program covers affected iBooks for three years after the first retail sale of the unit or until March 18, 2005, whichever provides longer coverage for you. Apple will continue to evaluate the repair data and will provide further repair extensions as needed.

I guess it depends on when it was originally purchased. It wouldn't hurt to ask Apple.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
It's weird to see a computer going completely crazy as in that video. I can't even remember the last time any computer I have owned has acted up.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It would certainly be a good idea to give Apple a call. Good luck with your friends iBook. ;)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Daveway said:
Someone dropped this iBook off to me this week to look at it because it was slow.
I think this iBook has more than a slow problem. Not only is it slow which will be easy to fix, but it has HD errors up the yang, takes forever to boot, and has the most odd video problem. The S# indicates that it was eligible for the logic board replacement but I think that has since expired.
I also got a darwin login error with a command line.
-800mhz G3
-128mb
-combo, 30gb
-12"
Here's some video and a pic of the error.
Movie
Login Error
Daveway,

According to LowEndMac, the 800mhz G3 iBooks were introduced in Nov 2002. That means, if it is the logic board, it's eligible for the repair. But you'd need to get that looked at before the end of the month.

ft

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
Wow! May my new ibook never come across that problem.

Yeah, I would totally call Apple. If they give you any guff, have iGary do it for you (he's good at getting his way from the customer service industry)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I remember when my G3 Wallstreet did that. It was a bad screen... not a bad logic board. :eek:

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.