"This information can be read by a third party.."

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by msw123307, May 19, 2009.

1. msw123307 macrumors 6502

What do you all do when you receive this pop up (firefox)? "do you wish to continue? this info could be easily read by a third party, it's unencrypted, etc.."

I've been getting it every now and then on a few sites. One happened today after I input my password somewhere. Who could read it? If my network is secure, am I ok? If not, why in 2009 are sites not prepared to protect their users?

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I suppose it depends what site you're on. If it's a bank website, I'd definitely not continue, but if it's some silly secure server there for no reason other than to look secure (Microsoft Hotmail), then I would just continue. The likelihood of anything happening is so low it's probably worth the risk. :)

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It means that anyone between you and the server you are connecting to can read the transmitted data.

4. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok - i understand, but who can be between those two places? the owner of a network? sorry im not that familiar with this.

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Your ISP, and every server that the data travels through to go from your computer to the end server. Normally, thats around a dozen or so servers.