This iphone weather widget....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pavloskgr, Jun 22, 2007.

1. pavloskgr macrumors member

.........shown on the central picture posted in macrumors website must be from Yahoo!
    It has this ! at the end , on the down left corner......didi u notice it??????
    Seems like yahoo already has worked on iphone and will continue working!

Attached Files:

• !!.jpg
      !!.jpg
      File size:
      15.8 KB
      Views:
    • !.jpg
      !.jpg
      File size:
      86.1 KB
      Views:
  2. timmypv15 macrumors regular

i was actually wondering that myself

and on some of the pictures the battery icon is green, and the rest are grey

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

It is well known that Yahoo has been working on the iPhone. At the keynote at MacWorld in January, Jerry Yang, founder of Yahoo was up on stage talking about it!

4. bagus macrumors newbie

B**** about the weather

Checked my weather this morning in Denver. I phone says it's a perfectly balmy 37 degrees this morning. I go outside to walk the dog without hat and gloves and it's freaking cold. Search google for Denver weather and it says its 23.

Yesterday was worse. iphone says it's 32 degrees and I go outside and it's a bitter 12 degrees.

I'm sure there's a better forum for this post, but what the hey, its got me in a bad mood since walking the dog without hat or gloves in 32 degree weather is a lot different than doing it in 12 degree weather.

When it straightens itself out later in the day, I'm also often seeing temperature readings 10 or more degrees below what it says is the predicted low for the day.

Is this just a Denver thing?

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

you mean one that didn't end 6 months ago ... yes, yes there is ...

Also, try weather underground http://i.wund.com it's a lot better weather info than what the real widget gives you...

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Just so you know, AFAIK the iPhone Weather app gets its data from Yahoo, hence the little icon in the bottom left corner. You may want to submit feedback to both companies.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

If I want to know exactly what temperature it is, I just go out and start my car. It reports the outside temp pretty accurately. Same with my GPS, it shows the temp and it usually only differs by one or two degrees.

8. pab277 macrumors regular

yahoo is also the one who not only updates the weather app, but also the stocks app.

9. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

The weather widget is useless for me, it mostly shows wrong readings. Best to use a local weather site directly.

10. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Your GPS and car are reporting the actual temperature where you are. Yahoo! reports the current conditions at your closest airport or weather station - it will never be accurate because it is not a thermometer.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I checked my iphone weather against my car yesterday and they were within 1 degree of each other.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes I am aware of that. Our airport temp usually is 10 degrees off from where I am. But even then, sometimes the iPhone weather seems like it hasn't updated all day. It can be 60 outside and the widget is reporting the overnight low still.

I know on my MBP the widget there uses a different service to get the weather. Sometimes what it reports and what my iPhone reports are way off.

13. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

One thing to watch out for is if you live in a city whose name applies to more than one city.

I live in Portland, Oregon. The OS X Dashboard Widget, when I type in 'Portland', it defaults to Portland, Maine. The iPhone Widget does an actual search, and forces you to select.

Another tip is to use your ZIP code, as sometimes if you are on the outskirts of a town, the ZIP code will produce a closer weather station. (In my case, the airport is on the far other end of town, so selecting the less-than-two-miles-away suburb of Beaverton, Oregon tends to give me more accurate weather.)