Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
jsw said:
You certainly don't want to order a stiff drink.... ;)
Yes I would. And there's a brew from the Wairarapa that's called a Square Ale and that's got a huge head too. Seriously, really, true, oh well don't believe me

Grey Beard

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
clayj said:
It's funny how certain laws in Europe operate with respect to prostitutes...

For example, in Germany, your unemployment benefits can be cut off if a job is available but you refuse to take it. Since prostitution is now legal there, some unemployed German women have been informed that they must accept the job of prostitute (since they haven't found any other job) or lose their benefits.

I don't know about you, but I think that's really messed up.

That story has been debunked, most notably by Snopes.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
clayj said:
Here's just one of many articles on the subject... Google on "Germany prostitute unemployment" for more.
Oh, the Telegraph, that famously pro-European newspaper. Wasn't it also the source for the "bananas must be straight" story?

XNine

macrumors 68040
You know that saying, how "beauty is only a light switch away"??? Well, I don't think that will even work in this instance. I've never liked French women, or guys, or anything from France, but this... This makes me want to turn a-sexual! ECK!

sprstu

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
white bear lake, mn
Bag for here is right. Could you imagine picker her up at a bar while mostly beer-eyed, taking her home, waking up with her in your bed, then finding out you owe her money too!!!

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
kiwi-in-uk said:
"The government had considered making brothels an exception on moral grounds, but decided that it would be too difficult to distinguish them from bars."
You know what? I reckon I can tell them apart. The absence of people ****ing in any of the rooms is a pretty good sign.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
sprstu said:
Bag for here is right. Could you imagine picker her up at a bar while mostly beer-eyed, taking her home, waking up with her in your bed, then finding out you owe her money too!!!
I have never been that drunk.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
clayj said:
It's funny how certain laws in Europe operate with respect to prostitutes...

For example, in Germany, your unemployment benefits can be cut off if a job is available but you refuse to take it. Since prostitution is now legal there, some unemployed German women have been informed that they must accept the job of prostitute (since they haven't found any other job) or lose their benefits.

I don't know about you, but I think that's really messed up.

sorry, but that's so stupid.

i mean it's so stupid to believe that in the first place. and then on top of it even posting it as true.

it's not true. nothing more to say.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
andiwm2003 said:
sorry, but that's so stupid.

i mean it's so stupid to believe that in the first place. and then on top of it even posting it as true.

it's not true. nothing more to say.
Well, I disagree that it's stupid to believe that something like that could happen... stranger things have happened. And I didn't know until today that it was not actually true... when you see it mentioned in MAJOR newspapers, you tend to think that they know what they're reporting.

So, sorry I spread the "misinformation" further... but now we all know better.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Onizuka said:
You know that saying, how "beauty is only a light switch away"??? Well, I don't think that will even work in this instance. I've never liked French women, or guys, or anything from France, but this... This makes me want to turn a-sexual! ECK!

Well, I met a chick the other day, and she was French. And HOT.

This one... jesus h. christ, even a bag wouldn't recify her. PAY her? She'd have to pay ME if she wants any! And it'd have to be enough to make me richer than Bill Gates for me to even consider it!

*BARF*

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
clayj said:
Well, I disagree that it's stupid to believe that something like that could happen... stranger things have happened. And I didn't know until today that it was not actually true... when you see it mentioned in MAJOR newspapers, you tend to think that they know what they're reporting.

So, sorry I spread the "misinformation" further... but now we all know better.

well i agree that we have lots of really stupid laws in germany. and probably you're right, from a distance one could even believe that.

but i've given up on believing major newspapers. a friend of mine worked as a reporter at one of them. she told me that investigating a story meant maximum 2 telephone calls. then it gets printed. seems these days i trust blogs more than major newspapers.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
kiwi-in-uk said:
"The government had considered making brothels an exception on moral grounds, but decided that it would be too difficult to distinguish them from bars."

Really?

Translation: "All the girls who hang out in German bars look like prostitutes."

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
What is going on over there. I think we need some censorship over there. Across the pond that is.

Maybe just for starters an age cutoff!?!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.