This is a new one for me

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WalnutSpice, Mar 27, 2016.

1. WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

I am still duel booting Leopard and El Capitan on my MacBook. I only haven't upgraded to 10.6 yet from, well, just being lazy. But this leopard install has been giving me weird graphical issues from the start. I can't save images from a web browser, when you drag them out into a folder / desktop it downloads it as an HTML file. If you snapshot it'll take it but will have really bad thick screen tears, on boot up it will have two grey bars down the screen for a few seconds and a lot more. Now this doesn't happen on any other operating system or Mac OS version and my MacBook does natively support 10.5.3 and up. When I installed Leopard it was 10.5.6.
    Now heres why I'm making this post, up until a few minutes ago I only had these issues under Leopard. But a few minutes ago I was watching YouTube and got a kernel panic (using leopard because lazy and didn't want to reboot). So I held the power button to turn it off and reboot into El Capitan. But I was greeted with something I've never seen before on a Mac. I will post a video of it with this. I googled this and everywhere said my GPU was failing or a cable came out. I know none of these are true, I did get my MacBook back on and booted to 10.11 and am typing on it right now, testing the GPU and I know it's all dandy. I just removed the battery and power, pressed the power button and let it sit for a minute before putting the battery in again and going into 10.11.
    Could anyone tell me what this could mean knowing my hardware is in fact okay?

Also I did see this issue goes as far back as early PowerBook G4 days

2. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

Obviously it's time to buy a new ipad. Try setting the date back so it thinks it's not time to be obsolete yet? :)

Really, if it's a clean install then it does sound like hardware. Later versions of OSX rely more on the GPU from what I've read. If you run something graphic intensive (i.e. openmark) does it happen sooner/more often? What if the whole machine is hot?

3. jbarley, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

good luck in finding a solution!

4. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

I know what's happening: it's the setup process of Windows 10 (while it is almost done) ;)

5. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

It only reaches a max of around 172º. Generally around 150º is where it stays. And yes, it can run openmark for as long as I can leave it open without crashing on 10.11, but 10.5 eats it just playing HD video. And I don't mean 4k, I mean 720 / 1080p.