This is a serious iPhone security risk/ problem.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Boesky, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Boesky macrumors 6502

If you post a pic from your iPhone, it is possible to locate your gps location using a simple program. How do you prevent this?

2. sapauley21 macrumors newbie

sapauley21

How in the world does this work??? i have never heard anything like this and i dont think i believe it..where did you hear this?

3. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

Post a pic from your iPhone and I can tell you the location.

4. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

When you first use the camera, it asks you if it can use your location. Just say no, or turn off location services.

iPhoto uses this info to place your photos on a map, as does Flickr.

You might also want to clarify that it shows where the photo was taken, not where you currently are.

5. The General macrumors 601

It's a feature. You can disable it in settings.

6. Kyeris macrumors 6502

Settings -> Reset -> Reset Location Warnings
    Camera -> Take a Picture -> Don't allow

This will reset location settings, then you disable it within the camera app (this will stick until you reset again), while still having location services enabled for other applications (at your choice).

Enjoy.

7. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

OP can you now edit your chicken little thread title? perhaps something like:
    How do I disable location information in iPhone photos?
    You may be shocked to know that some cameras (DSLRs) also embed GPS data in the photo. Get an exif editor if you want to see what information is embedded in some of your photos.

8. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

9. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

lol this guy sounds like the OP is spying on people using a satellite or some ****.
    But yeh as greygray said it's called geotagging and has to be allowed on the iPhone.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How in the world would someone consider this feature a serious security risk?

Its not like they'll see the posted picture, grab the coordinates, take a cab/drive/walk and then sneak up behind you :rolleyes:

11. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

If you post a picture taken in your home, it tells everybody exactly where you live... That could present a security risk.

It's nice to know that you can turn this off. I had no idea it was even an option.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I take it you're not listed in phonebooks? (physical or web based).

Here's the thing about the world in 2009, if someone wants to find out all about you, all it takes is a credit card and a few clicks on the internet. To be worried about geotagging is like worrying about your tires being low while your car is flying over the edge of a cliff.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wow

I posted a pic and there is a guy shooting at my house with a sniper rifle now I. Know how he found me, thanks op!

14. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

No it doesn't have to be allowed. The first time he used his camera he agreed to allow for his photos to be geotagged. Not once but twice at that.

There is an app on the app store that will allow you to access geotagged information call Koredoko.

15. bstpierre macrumors 6502

I think what he was saying is that you have to allow it before it can happen, not that there is now ay to disallow it.

16. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

17. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Thank you for alerting us to this very serious security threat. :rolleyes: I think I hear the black helicopters now actually I'd better smash my phone.

18. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

It is a bit of an interesting one, i will give you that.. i thought someone had geniunely found a security flaw.. ahh well, can live a couple more days i guess :)

PTP

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

[​IMG]

Turn that OFF. problem solved.

Oh yeah, and don't forget:

[​IMG]

20. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

Turning that off ruins the whole iPhone experience though.

21. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

But allows you to save battery...

22. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

More like it ruins your thread. :p

23. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Yeah, but like others have said, you can turn it off just for the camera. Scaredpoet is just giving you another option, since you seem paranoid and clueless.

24. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

An alternative is to buy enough aluminum foil to make your hat plus a hat for your phone. When you want to use your phone, take its hat off, but under no circumstances take your hat off. After using your hatless phone, put its hat back on, then run really fast to a new location so 'they' wont know where you are just in case they homed in on your signal.

[​IMG]

25. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Having Location Services on doesn't really drain the battery unless you're using apps the make use of the GPS so turning it off doesn't really make a difference.