Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stinkythe1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
I had a previous question that was moved for some strange reason, but this is a question that I am really conserned about. I mean, I don't want to accidently do this. And I really want to know what would happen.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/170617/

Is it possible to accidently stick 2 disks into the slotload drive? Will it not let you? Will it damage the drive? Ect...

I'd like an answer, not get this post moved again. :mad:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Whilst I have to say that if this got Wastelanded once it will probably get Wastelanded again: You generally can't stick a second CD in as the first is in the way and the slot is only big enough for one. If you manage to force a second one in I would imagine that both CDs would be damaged and the drive might well be damaged itself. You would have to really force it though.

mherz

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2004
Why???

Why do you want to do that???
(Without wanting to ask something intimate) Give us some clue why you would ever want to put two disks in the same drive, and why this is so important to you?

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
You can't put two discs in a slot load unless you force it. Then you would hear a snap, crackle, pop. Viola! The 2nd disc has been forced in your machine.

In a tray load CD drive, it is possible to have two discs. I accidently did that with my PowerMac... the two discs spun and the drive still read the bottom CD. Luckily it didn't break the Superdrive. :-D

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
mherz said:
(Without wanting to ask something intimate) Give us some clue why you would ever want to put two disks in the same drive, and why this is so important to you?

nobody would want to do this.

what i could imagine: if clueless family members around using your mac it WILL happen. it would be good to know what breaks if somebody tries. the consequence would be to NEVER let a cd in your mac when you're not there.

btw.: a friend of mine tried exactly that on my PB because she had no idea about slot loading drives. fortunately she didn't force the cd in but i can see it happen.

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
mherz said:
When did anyone say that he wants to do that?
Are you familiar with the meaning of the word accidentally?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.