This is by far the sexiest laptop stand made for Macs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cleanup, Jul 4, 2007.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

HOLLY S*&T this is the best looking stand i have ever seen!!!!! that thing is completely gorguz!! if i had money/lived within 3000km from america id buy it!!!!

their "lift" product is also stunnin!!!!

3. dcv macrumors G3

It's called "Floater" :D Not a particularly sexy name, is it?

Sorry I don't really see the sexiness in that. The screws are exposed and it just doesn't look very well finished. It's too fussy.

I'm not in the market for a notebook stand but the mStand by Rain Design (who also make the iLap) is rather nice. Clean and simple looking.

4. Sopranino macrumors 6502

That certainly looks cool! However I would be concerned about two points;
    1) The unit looks like it blocks the cooling vents (or a substantial amount)
    2) The unit is oriented so that the heat rises upwards towards an area that has no heat vents.

It may be that the now vertical bottom would act like a giant heat sink but I wouldn't rely on that unless someone can post back with some actual user experience.

Sopranino

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i was gonna buy that but didnt get around to it.. very simple and high stand which is what alot of people need. just doesnt do it for me like the floater tho.. original desgn!!!

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It's cool, but that price is just stupid. That is something that maybe could be $100, but with out any capacity other then just holding the laptop, I just can't see spending the money. Now maybe if it had some docking and cable management I would think about it.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if they made a stand similar to that and it had some kind of liquid cooling...for $150...now that would be quite amazing

8. bartelby macrumors Core

That is nice!
    I've been looking for a nice stand since they stopped making the iCurve.

Cheers dcv. I'll shall get one of them!:) :)

9. roker macrumors regular

roker

I much prefer the mStand- it's so much more in keeping with apples designs, & if I get round to buying a stand for my MBP which is quoted to arrive tomorrow or the next day, that would be the one I get

10. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

It looks nice until you start plugging all your cables into it!

11. koops macrumors regular

looks cool, but putting cds/DVDs into it would be a pain

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

does it have to be up that certain way?? im sure you could flip it around to have the dvd slot facing upwards.... seems stupid for heat issues, but you could i spose

13. LeviG macrumors 65816

Agree with you on both those points.

Now if the "floater" was on piece of machined metal then yeah it would be quite nice but still seems a tad impractical, unless you're using an external display.

14. Lau Guest

I think it looks as if it would compliment the old TiBooks really well, but I think the more recent PowerBooks and the MacBookPros have cleaner lines than that (and deserve something nice looking ;) ).

15. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Actually, it is machine from a single block of aluminum:

[​IMG]

Although it looks like the pieces are separate and screwed together, the spaces in between the sections are merely grooves, not cuts. All for looks. The screws are just for aesthetic value too.

It is kind of impractical and expensive, though. That mStand looks nice. I think I'll get one when I move to Canada. Or an iCurve if I can find one =)

16. chex macrumors regular

17. koops macrumors regular

Is there any felt lining / cushioning so your beloved MBP doesn't get scratched taking it in and out?

sorry just read - silicon lining

18. gambot macrumors newbie

19. ScottDrummer macrumors 6502

the base dosnt seem big enough to support knocking it over sideways, im not sure id trust it. Id definitely not spend $300 on the thing!
    looks cool though i must admit.

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wonder how heavy it is....maybe a lot of wieght could stop it from falling ober.

21. rickster2k macrumors member

It definitely needs some foam in that 'clasp' bit otherwise you MPB/PB is going to get scratched to hell.

Isn't there also the heat issue, one of the posts on this forum recently was saying that the MPB isn't designed to be used with the lid closed as it impedes airflow.

22. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

might have a gap at the bottom for the vents.... alternatively....turn the MBP the other way round? shouldnt be too hard though might render the dvd drive useless

i see it does have gaps! lol.... but with them pointing down, i cant see them being markedly useful. the heats gonna wanna soak upwards.

23. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

I have a question about the design of this. On many desktop PCs I've read that mounting the hard drives vertically and them mounting them horizontally can reduce the life of the drive because it puts extra wear and tear on the internals of the drive (the HDs get accustomed to being run in one direction or another). So wouldn't this be the same concept? Having it mounted like that for days on end, and then taking it off and using it normally? Granted you may never see a problem from it, but it DOES reduce the life of the hard drive

24. amitface macrumors regular

I don't get it. 300 dollars for something that just holds your laptop up? What's wrong with having it lay on a desk like it's supposed to. I understand laptop stands like iLap, that let you actually use the computer. But this seems like a waste of $.

25. seany916 macrumors 6502

Like tmoney, I question letting your little notebook drive spin on its side.

I would NOT recommend spinning a DVD in there!!!