This is driving me crazy! - charging cable

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by a-m-k, Dec 1, 2015.

1. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I have a new longer charging cable to charge my phone (5C). The past few days. I have had great difficulty charging my phone with my cube. (I still think there is something wrong with it.) So, today, while I am sitting here typing this, I have phone charging and it won't charge past 82%. Though, as I am typing this. I think I realized my problem.

I do have the battery health app on my phone and it does take note of what my battery capacity is. I always thought that no matter what the battery capacity was, it would read that 100% of the 80% of my battery was charged.

Do I have the right idea? I do plan on upgrading my phone soon if the rumored release date of a certain iPhone is right. I just have a few more weeks.

I also get a USB devices is disabled pop-up.

What's going on?

2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Your phone should charge to 100%. That may not be truly 100% of the battery capacity, and 0% is not a truly drained battery. But you should still get values between that range of 0 to 100. And by this, I mean the battery percentage value in the top right portion of your display. Don't know anything about "the battery health app" on your phone, and I wouldn't trust any third party app more than what the phone says. Apple can test the battery capacity more closely, and I think if you have a Mac, there's software you can run to query the battery status as well.

As far as a "rumored release date" of a certain iPhone goes, I think you're deluding yourself if you expect it in a few weeks. If anything, I think Apple would have wanted to hit the Christmas buying cycle. But the rumors are simply that... Rumors.

As far as the pop-up... Try charging with an actual Apple plug and an Apple cable. If you still get a pop-up, try getting your phone serviced.

Are you still trying to charge with your case on? Wasn't that causing you problems before, preventing you from fully plugging in your Lightning cable?

C

3. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I have my case off right now while charging. I got to thinking that maybe the fact that the cube was on an outlet lower than the space I am charging on, so I took off my case, and put it on a counter where the charger is above the counter by a few inches.

4. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Charging is not gravity dependent, so I'm not sure how things being higher or lower than other things makes a difference...

C

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I the "new and longer" cord an official Apple cord?

Also do you have an iPad? If so use the charger for on your phone.

6. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

That is what I was thinking, but I just don't understand.

7. HEK, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

What don't you understand?

Charge the phone using the cube and charging cable that came with it. If the issue/problem persists, make a genius appointment and take phone in to be checked by Apple. How much simpler can we make this?

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If I understand correctly, you think the battery monitoring app has changed how iOS reports your battery charge. Unless you are jaulbroken, no app is given such permissions. Regardless of your battery life status, a full charge is still 100%. Let's say the battery has degraded to 50%. It will still read 100% when fully charged. 100% of max capacity is still max capacity. The only thing that you might notice when your max capacity has degraded is that your battery runs down faster because "there is less of it".

9. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Yes, I was thinking that, but I have a app on my phone that I can adjust the battery capacity.
    I've always been extremely careful with my phone, and wouldn't you know, the one time that it had a harder fall (It actually fell screen side down, my problems began. :( Not very far.) my problems began. There was no external damage, but I wonder if that one light fall could have done something. It hit the floor, too.

10. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Why would you "adjust" the battery capacity? For one thing, I suspect apple wouldn't actually let an app do that, and even if they did, it wouldn't change the capacity of your battery.

C

11. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

I'm starting to get that feeling, hairs on back of neck are prickling.
    That usually means something is fishy. i.e. BS.

And app that allows you to adjust the capacity of your battery? Yeah right, those hairs are a rising.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Can you share the name of the app?

13. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Battery Master Pro

14. Chatter macrumors 6502a

If your phone will not charge past 82% then you have a phone issue. Take it to an Apple store. I dont think that app is the cause of this. Frankly, this app is probably not helpful in any meaningful way.

15. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You paid actual money for that? lol
    "Adjust battery capacity" appears to be nothing more than some kind of calibration of the battery display so it shows a (hopefully) more accurate number for remaining charge, and you would then have this BS number that purports to give you an estimate (a guess) for the remaining charge, depending on what you are doing. Not likely important, or good enough to be worth even the 99 cents you paid for it.
    If that app ends up affecting your battery's real charge, then uninstall that app.

If you don't trust your charging cube, then get some other charger. This is not high-value, high cost stuff. I must have a dozen different USB chargers, all different. Many are less than $5. Most work quite well with iPhones. Same chargers may not always be enough power to charge iPads in a timely manner, but that's not what you need.

16. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I literally laughed out loud at this, well done sir.

17. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

No, I didn't pay money for the app.

18. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

So when you say your phone only charges to 82%, is that 82% according to that app, or 82% according to the battery level percentage on the top right corner of your status bar on your phone?

C

19. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Then, you would know that Battery Master Pro is not free.
    If someone else paid for it, that doesn't make it somehow useful, and still is a good idea to remove it to see if your battery charging is affected. I would doubt that it will change anything, your battery may simply be going "away"

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Folks. Why not try and be polite? This person is asking for help and far too many people are either laughing, taking jabs, or both. Nobody is forcing you to be here.

21. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Very few people are being impolite, IMHO. They're just trying to understand the situation. A "lol" thrown in here and there shouldn't be the end of the world.

C

22. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If your getting the accessory unsupported error and your using genuine cables the. The issue is one of two things.

Your lightning port has lint/debris in it.

Or

Your cables worn and faulty.

23. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Sorry, but I tuned this one out when I read the question about gravity pulling the electrons down..... :eek:

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

My statement was directed that those who were...

Aside from you and I there are three others who have responded. TWO of them are either implying the person is lying or luahging that she paid for an app. We have no idea the curcumstances. It's very nice of you to be one of the helpful ones.

25. HEK, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

How many times can people repeat the same answers. Use the Apple power adapter (it's not a charger) and use the Apple cable. Remove the app, charge the phone, what does it say % in top right corner? If it won't reach 100% then go to Apple Store and have them check it. Batteries can and do fail. I would not suggest this person fiddle with removing lint from the lightening port.

This will be the same answer no matter how many times it is asked. And forgive us if we find the flow of electricity affected by gravity ridiculous. The space time warpage is not great enough on earth to affect electron flow. At the event horizon of a black hole yes. It's just too plain ridiculous not to laugh, And question the validity of the thread premise.