Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
image.jpeg
type in one thing, get taken somewhere else entirely. This is happening on multiple devices and on both iOS 9 and 10. Can happen with any website. But hey, loading the URL you've typed is hard.

This screenshot demonstrates the URL bar has absolutely no idea what it's doing, but it can just as easily silently show a perfectly correct looking URL and then go somewhere totally different.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
View attachment 689881 type in one thing, get taken somewhere else entirely. This is happening on multiple devices and on both iOS 9 and 10. Can happen with any website. But hey, loading the URL you've typed is hard.

This screenshot demonstrates the URL bar has absolutely no idea what it's doing, but it can just as easily silently show a perfectly correct looking URL and then go somewhere totally different.
Have you tried clearing Safari cache/data? Is Safari enabled under iCloud settings? If so, perhaps worth a try to disable it to see if that might fix the issue?

Reactions: AVS0S and cswifx

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Have you tried clearing Safari cache/data? Is Safari enabled under iCloud settings? If so, perhaps worth a try to disable it to see if that might fix the issue?

The issue comes and goes at random, even without clearing data. It happens on multiple devices but not at the same time. I'll try clearing data the next time it pops up, although if it returns again, it'll kinda suck having to sign myself out of everything every few days to keep it under control.

I take it nobody else has run into this issue?

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I take it nobody else has run into this issue?

I might have, but I kinda do everything by muscle memory and don't really look at what's presented to me, but I do remember being puzzled at the site I ended up at a couple of times in the past week or two. I started to type in one URL, quickly accepted the autocomplete, and went to a site I didn't expect to go to. I just assumed that I had accidentally accepted the wrong autocomplete location. It happened more than once and accidentally going to the wrong site isn't something I do very often.

If this is a thing, it would explain what I observed.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Unrelated but slightly similar – I ran a Spotlight search for an actor's name, and was shown a snippet of a Wikipedia page that had been crudely "vandalized" to personally attack the actor.

Clicking through brought me to a normal Wikipedia page (different text)... so apparently Apple had cached the page in a brief window between vandalism and reversion. I would have thought Spotlight pulled from the current state of the "live" page, but apparently not.

Last edited:

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Hilariously, it happened again (even after resetting safari) and actually mixed up this exact post URL with a completely unrelated site. And it doesn't happen just with macrumors pages, it's just random all over the place. Also it can get stuck swapping websites for days or in this instance, it went away when I checked again a few minutes later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.