Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
I am 19...

To many people, that is still a child.

As far as why a lot of teenagers are buying this phone, it's because they're are the kings of impulse buying, and most have no idea of the value of a dollar because the only dollars they've ever spent have been their parents. Thus, to them, $600 and $100 a month in this age of teenagers getting $100,000 cars for their birthdays seems like a paltry sum indeed.

Jeffrey903

macrumors member
May 27, 2006
Yeah, please don't make judgments about people just because they are younger than you are. I'm 17 and have to have my parents sign the contract for me, but that does NOT mean they are paying for my phone or service. I have my own job and will be paying entirely for the iPhone and all services related to it, it will just be done using my dad as a middle man for legal purposes.

retrospects

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
well i will be 21 next friday and i have lived with my gf who is 21 for almost 3 years. my cellphone, car insurance, all my bills, car note and all my credit cards are in my name. i rely 0% on my parents, when i lived at my parents house from the time i was 16 and had my first job, i have paid for everything the only thing i did there was sleep. me and my gf have all out own stuff. just because your young dose not mean you cant make money and have nice things. i have a 42 inch LCD tv on my wall and a new 07 jeep wrangler.

TheBusDriver

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2005
To many people, that is still a child.

As far as why a lot of teenagers are buying this phone, it's because they're are the kings of impulse buying, and most have no idea of the value of a dollar because the only dollars they've ever spent have been their parents. Thus, to them, $600 and $100 a month in this age of teenagers getting $100,000 cars for their birthdays seems like a paltry sum indeed.

I'm 19 and I can afford that without the help of my parents thank you. I've never gotten handouts from my parents and had to by all four of my cars and my motorcycle and my macbook all by myself. You better check yo'self before you wreck yo'self next time.

:p,
Steve

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
I'm 19 and I can afford that without the help of my parents thank you. I've never gotten handouts from my parents and had to by all four of my cars and my motorcycle and my macbook all by myself. You better check yo'self before you wreck yo'self next time.

:p,
Steve

I am your age and I can afford it without help too. Doesn't mean I'm buying one, as I see it as an unecessary luxury. I have a nice car, a nice house, I'm paying for college, and I'm perfectly happy with the cell phone and service I have. No need to impulsively buy something just because it has an apple logo on it. There are simply better things to spend the money on, in my opinion.

I was making a generalization to satisfy someone's curiosity. And I have to say I'm curious to know what on earth you're doing at 19 to be making enough to buy four cars and a motorcycle. I know how I'm doing it but even I don't spend to that much excess.

retrospects

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
why dose everyone think that if a kid wants it, its an impulse buy? older people make more impulse buys when they cant afford it than younger people that can!

TheBusDriver

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2005
I am your age and I can afford it without help too. Doesn't mean I'm buying one, as I see it as an unecessary luxury. I have a nice car, a nice house, I'm paying for college, and I'm perfectly happy with the cell phone and service I have. No need to impulsively buy something just because it has an apple logo on it. There are simply better things to spend the money on, in my opinion.

I was making a generalization to satisfy someone's curiosity. And I have to say I'm curious to know what on earth you're doing at 19 to be making enough to buy four cars and a motorcycle. I know how I'm doing it but even I don't spend to that much excess.

Well technically I only have one car and a motorcycle now :p but I have bought four cars and I like old cars so they are generally cheaper, Also my phone just took a crap so I need one and why not?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Seriously though, one segment of people this is excluding, as well as the current multi-touch craze, are people with disabilities.

Advancements in technolgy have always excluded some people. How would a dumb(not being able to speak) use the 1st phone? How would a blind person use a iSight on a Mac?

Thats the price of new gadgets. Sadly, luckly, people are working on ways to fix this problem.

You know 600 bucks isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things...its 600 bucks!(Not that is nothing, but at the end of your life, will be sitting back say "Damn, I could be 600 dollars richer!) Maybe you think you can buy other stuff, which would be nicer for you to have, but not everyone must agree

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.