this is going to suck!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kronie, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Man, I just realized that I am missing about 40 Gigs of random tracks of music from my music folder. A track here, a track there. AND both my backup drives are the same. Somehow when I migrated from the Windows world to the Mac world about a month ago, the import skipped certain tracks. It moved the folders, but left out random tracks.

Now I need to compare an old windows drive that has "my music" to my mac's music folders. One folder at a time and import the missing tracks.

It wouldn't be so bad except I have like 1,100 albums. This is going to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why? Just have iTunes import all of it and find the duplicates. Delete them.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Agreed. One other method (since you have backups) is to delete your iTunes library and re-import everything. That way, you won't have duplicates to deal with.

4. McGilli macrumors 6502

Sounds like the back-ups are missing all of the random files too... so re-importing won't help...

That's gonna suck. Can you copy just your music folder from the windows pc to an external drive - then - run properties to count the files in the 2 folders to verify all was copied ok? and THEN import them into OSX?

5. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Sucks man. Good luck. At one point I had a ton of duplicates on my iTunes. Took a few hours to clean it up.

6. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I guess I could do that and then move the folders out of the itunes folder, back into the my music folder. I keep the itunes folder empty as I'm not a fan of how OS X likes to make extra copies of everything.

....Except itunes wont move the folders image files, just the music files and so I wont have an image of the album cover. I will still need to go back and move those. Also my music is a hodgepodge of MP3, flac, WAV, AAC....will Itunes just move the files without converting anything?