This is how bezels should be done.

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by spinedoc77, Nov 1, 2014.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Well...how are you going to hold your phone?

I even get annoyed by my S3's bezels, and its bezels are the size of the Pacific Ocean compared to that.

3. Tzerlag macrumors regular

Tzerlag

4. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

Excerpt from text: "LG Display is planning to start mess production of the 5.3-inch full HD LCD panel in November to start deliveries to customers in China and globally."

5. Fireblade, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

Looks awesome, and I am obsessed with small bezels, hope in about 2-3 years I can buy a smartphone with bezels like those.

6. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Let it rest in between the palm of my hand. I don't need to cover up or overlap the sides to hold my phone.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not sure I'd like that. But would have to see it implemented before deciding.

8. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

9. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

Thin bezels are good for me. Cases can go uglify some other plump screen for all I care.

Much prefer a push in culling bezels than thinning out phones so they don't have enough battery or risk bending.

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That's a bit misleading. That isn't a phone that they're showing but an LCD panel. I'll reserve judgment until I see that panel in a phone.

11. swy05 macrumors 6502

What the hell is the obsession with thin bezels? No one wants inch wide bezels of course. But the phone's nowadays have bezels that are thin enough. Now, it's becoming counter-productive.

My Note 3 has decent sized bezels and they are not super thin by any means. But when using it one hand, it's next to impossible to browse the web.

The sides of my hand keep touching the screen because of the thin bezels. So scrolling becomes basically impossible.

Frickin stupid obsession with thinness.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

This is how bezels should be done.

I really don't want a phone that I accidentally keep pressing the screen when I rotate the screen or hold it gripped in my hand. It's easy enough to press the screen accidentally on some of the phones now, this would be a nightmare to use, and as others say, counter productive.

13. ozaz macrumors 65816

Agree with those above who are being critical of this. In addition to ergonomic issues, there's the issue of increased fragility of the the phone.

What I don't understand is why companies aren't striving to shrink the bezels on laptops, which is where smaller bezels really would be useful (e.g. a MBA with a 14" screen, but with the same footprint as the current MBA)

14. nfl46 macrumors 603

I'm not a fan of how thin those bezels are. Seems very uncomfortable.

15. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I don't think I'd like a phone like this. There would be nowhere to hold it comfortably. Also what kind of case can you use on a phone like this.

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

It's not an obsession... yet. One thing to keep in mind is that phone makers need to gin up reasons for people to be dissatisfied with their current phone so that they can buy a new one.

The last battle was pixel density. PPI was the most reported on spec. People bought into it. Displays that were wonderful clear and colorful suddenly became terrible and horrible and blurry (because their PPI was less than 300)

It's looking like bezel size will be the next one. Watch people start to lose their minds and claim that any phone with a bezel greater than 1/100th an inch to be a clunky chunky mess.

I've been using a Sharp Aquos Crystal for about a week now. It is virtually bezel-less on 3 sides. I have had no problems with accidentally triggering actions because of the lack of bezels.

The practical benefit to the lack of a bezel is being able to have a larger screen in a smaller footprint. Having a 5" display on a device that is no bigger than a Galaxy SII Skyrocket (4.5" display) is very nice.

17. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

18. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

True, we have to wait to see what phones are released with the technology. It's still pretty awesome.

----------

PPI does help with fitting more stuff on screen. Maybe not on the desktop, but it does in GPS apps as one example.

19. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Without knowing how that LG technology stacks up with what Sharp did I don't know how to measure the awesomeness of LG's screen. :)

Sure. I didn't say or mean to imply that PPI was a worthless tech spec... only that phone makers make a bigger deal out of a particular spec in order to generate dissatisfaction.

20. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

I was thinking the thing. Not very good ergonomics.....

21. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

You guys do realize, that the pics from the OP are showing the display not a whole smartphone?

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yes, most of us here know what the Sharp Aquos looks like without having to even open the link ;)

[​IMG]

23. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

Problem is, this thread isn't about the Sharp Aquos...

24. iPH0NE 3GS macrumors newbie

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Lol... Should have opened that link :p :D.