This is how check if your 2016 mbpro have graphic errors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jaekae, Dec 18, 2016.

?

Get any graphic errors doing this?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Jaekae, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016

Jaekae macrumors 6502a

I have found 3 ways to reproduce graphic glitches on the new macbook pro 2016. Even on a clean install with latest .2 version of sierra.

1. Start siri so the siri window open. Then toggle "automatic graphics switching" in the energy saver preferences. This produce a yellow colored glithc in the siri window. (most likeley software bug)

2. Boot in safemode. Hold shift during startup. This give a blinking screen of white with horizontal lines moving upwards until the login come. After login its alot of screen tearing when moving finder windows or similiar. (most likely software "bug")

3. Start migration assistant. When it started quit it directly and it goes back to a login screen. Login and you will see a flash of weird colors for a while. Sometimes they stay until restart. This is the worst one and can be indicator of hardware error.

How many more get these? If you do get it, report it to apple support so they can fix it faster..
    I tried 1 and 3 on display models in store and got same even..

2. caddison, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016

caddison macrumors member

caddison

You mean like this?

[​IMG]

Yup, I'm having the issue.

3. emremergen macrumors newbie

just try the safe mode and your words exactly happened.

4. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

Yeah, happens here. Software is hard. They will fix it.

5. caddison macrumors member

caddison

Would a software issue explain all the weirdness that is happening in safe mode?

6. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

Isn't this (the screen tearing when moving windows) a normal thing? Without the drivers, everything redraws really slowly and there is tearing?

Also, all of these seem software related. Especially the Siri one - graphics switching is buggy and complicated - both on PCs and Macs. I am not surprised that you can glitch things when doing this.

I am not sure what's the point of this. Occasional glitches are one thing - the question is does it happen while actually doing real work?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 18, 2016 ---
    Sure it would. Safe mode is also "software". In safe mode, the drivers are not used, but software is still communicating with hardware.

Still, I just tried out safe mode on my iMac - yup, just as I thought: I got flashing, blinking horizontal lines and screen tearing. This is normal.

7. caddison macrumors member

caddison

Yeah, in fact "real work" is where I've had most of my problems.

See my post here: #595

8. Jaekae thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im not sure how safemode should work so maby that one is normal if its on your imac also? Just thought the blinking and horizontal lines was glitching. But also checked youtube for instruction videos that showed how to boot in safemode, and in all i found there it was not any blinking or horizontal lines. So its not on all atleast.

But anyways the migration assistant (3) glitch is the worst one of all. And that one i think is most likely hardware, it generates crash reports in console everytime.

9. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

Yes, your situation does seem quite bad. However, as I said - horizontal flashing lines happen to every Mac in safe mode (I kinda remembered them from before, so I just tried it on my iMac to confirm) and there is screen tearing, and graphical glitches can happen with transparency using items when you switch GPUs - I can cause my MBP to glitch a bit (it's not the entire Siri window that goes yellow, but when I do what you said sometimes the Siri waveform animation goes yellow for a moment) and I didn't notice any glitches during work. I was also unable to reproduce the Migration Assistant issue, the way you described it.

Again, your issue seems serious and I have no idea if it's hardware or software related. I do hope you find some satisfying resolution (no pun intended :) to your problem. But I think the examples you mentioned are not necessarily indicative of problems (2nd one certainly isn't).

10. caddison macrumors member

caddison

Ok, thanks for the info. I explained what was happening during boot up into safe mode to the Sr. Advisor and he told me it wasn't supposed to do that.

Yeah, I hope I get it resolved too... however, I'm pretty gun shy right now and I'm not sure if the confidence is there to carry on stressing out over a $4,000 laptop.

We'll see what they say, but I'm leaning towards throwing in the towel and getting my money back.

11. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

There's no hardware error. If there was it would show up a lot or all the time. It just in these rare circumstances when Quartz produces render bugs when switching GPUs.

But it seems most people around here don't know what Quartz is and are obsessed about games and don't know how to type on a low profile keyboard. No offence, but it's getting tiring to see this on a 'Pro' user forum where professionals should know the difference between a hardware fault and a software bug.

I'd like to give you all PowerBook G3s and G4s so you can see what we real pros worked with over the years. We learned to be patient and productive.

12. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

I have a 2014 iMac 5K and this is my safe mode screen when loading (and yes, it looks really wrong :D) - but it's actually just a slow redraw caused by a lack of any hardware acceleration.

[​IMG]
    Do you still have issues with 10.12.2?
    Normally I agree with your posts of this nature, but the issues this person is having do seem problematic even to serious work. They do seem software related, though - as I said in the previous post.

13. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

The safe mode bugs you showed happens also with an RX 460/470/480 in a Mac Pro. It's a partially loaded video driver.

I don't know who would switch between Intel and Radeon while doing a Siri request. It's a good example of an alpha channel bug but it's not a real world reason to complain.

14. caddison macrumors member

caddison

Yes, I updated to 10.12.2 as soon as I fired up my machine for the first time.

This was a fresh install... no migration or anything.

Booted it up, installed software and all updates so it's current, set it up how I like it and surfed the internet for a day or two.

It was fine.

I had some time yesterday to experiment with some test edits... those all went ok and I thought everything was fine until last night when I got my first crash.

Ended up with two back to back.

I'm trying to make it happen again right now so I can try to take more video.

15. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

Agreed, this is no cause for alarm. But I can understand that a person who thinks they are having GPU issues seeing this for the first time (not everyone is a long-time Mac user :) ) and inferring it's a serious issue.
    That's bad, but I still think it's a software issue. I think it will sort itself out with an update or two, but that's just my opinion.
    No one would do that, but I presume he was trying to cause the issue because he's having bigger problems. In my experience, when you look for issues, you'll probably find them :)

16. caddison macrumors member

caddison

I hope you're right.

The one behavior I had last night that makes me feel like it's something to do with hardware is how I was getting artifacts of the crash after I rebooted.

Immediately after reboot I could still faintly see the checkerboard pattern and the screen was flickering... this was before I opened any apps. If I moved my mouse or typed on the keyboard, it would disappear. Once I let go of the mouse, It would reappear after a half second or so.

It slowly faded away and eventually stopped happening as the computer cooled down.

Before I went to bed last night it was almost gone... and was gone completely before I woke up this morning.

17. Jaekae thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you test number 3 also? The other two seems to be software related atleast now when soycapitan and alvean explained a bit more.

Not sure about 3 which is the worst error

18. caddison macrumors member

caddison

I haven't been able to duplicate that error, but this just happened while rendering a few videos.

[​IMG]

19. emremergen macrumors newbie

mine is looking like in the picture, i think the graphic issue problems are different than one another.
    and also i must say mine is just happening after long time sleep never happened except that(at least for now)

Attached Files:

20. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Im having the same issue and god dam it was driving me crazy trying to close your siri windows lol

21. Jaekae thread starter macrumors 6502a

You who seem to have more knowledge than apples "advisors". Do you know what the computer does after quiting migration assistant and login again?
    because everytime i do that the screen blinks black and become this one:

it also generates crash report in coreauthd process everytime.

and if its a software error why doesnt it happen for everyone? i tried clean install sierra 3 times now and still same everytime with zero third party software

22. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Dozens of people have reviewed this machine to pieces and ran Premiere Pro without error. Software bugs appear randomly or consistently or in irrelevant places that aren't going to be Apple's immediate priority. That's what we have experienced with new operating systems, software bugs and new drivers since the beginning.

If you have a genuine hardware issue it will manifest itself all the time in OpenGL, OpenCL, Quartz Debug, and Metal apps. Many of them or all of them. It would also manifest itself in Windows. If it doesn't appear under these additional circumstances then you just have a software bug that will be fixed.

23. Jaekae thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah understand that bugs are random but how can this "random" bug never dissapear if i reinstall macos so many times is hard to understand :(

24. ntnskrds macrumors member

You keep installing the same bug over and over again. Reinstalling IS NOT debugging !!

25. Jaekae thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im clean installing.. wiping the disk before, tried that with internet recovery mode, also tried with downloading and creating a bootable usb installer and use that after wiping disk