this is how I get the iPhone discounted every year....good idea?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jesusplay, Mar 6, 2011.

1. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

I have 2lines on a family plan. I alternate the upgrade every year, but I only use one of the lines.

so I end up paying 10 dollars extra a month making my part of the bill only 99-100 dollars a month.

my current phones update is for 5/12 my other lines upgrade is 5/11:D

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i upgrade to the newest iPhone every year on the same account for the new customer pricing ($159). gotta love rogers and how they care for their customers.

oh did i mention, i only pay $50/month

so in the end i make money.

- upgrade for $159
    - sell old iPhone for $300

3. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

You'd be better off just selling the phone every year and putting that money towards and early upgrade or a regular upgrade depending on what you're carrier does. 10 bucks per month is 120 per year you're throwing away not to mention the extra you're paying for your family style minute plan. It could be closer to 200 per year and that's a phone right there.

4. SonoViva macrumors 6502

SonoViva

I'm going to start doing this. I was doing the same thing as the OP because I wound up with an extra line (long story), but paying that extra $ per month is just ridiculous.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, the OP's plan doesn't seem to be financially sound.

6. bengal1022 macrumors newbie

bengal1022

What about the unlimited family plan? How is that impacted?

7. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

With the most basic plan you pay 9.99 a month for voice and $15 for data. All that multiplied by 24 months plus $200 iPhone = $800

8. antman2295 macrumors 6502

Please explain to me how you get the iPhone discounted? I thought the iPhone was the only phone that didn't get discounted...

9. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

I call FOUL! Rogers does NOT allow upgrade on the same account - or LINE for every year. You haven't been able to do this (without wining to retentions) for over 3yrs. Policy is upgrade every 2yrs that was implemented November 2010.

Now UNLESS you've bundled your TV/Home Phone/Cable & On Demand services/Internet with the cellular service … how are you able to do this?

PS: Account = BAN or Billing Account Number which can include more than 1 phone line or multiple services as mentioned in the previous paragraph.

10. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Renewing your contract for 2/3yrs allows it to be discounted; pretty much worldwide.

IN Canada I only know of Telus allowing to upgrade every 6mths further lengthening your contract by the time you upgrade again (so your 3yrs starts over again).

my previous post I still call foul but if that poster has details I'll be willing to test and be very grateful.

11. tophat1 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Dont you have to pay for data too?

12. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

That is what I thought too. I think the $10 is just to share minutes. iphone requires data too.

13. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

you sound like one of those people who thinks they know everything about everything using internal Rogers terms (BAN) or maybe you just read HoFo too much (prob not or you would've been aware of how i was able to do this)? i worked (long time ago) for rogers, and NO this does NOT have to do with my account and getting pricing. you just need to know what Rogers is offering you.

but anyways, they dont allow upgrades on regular phones or other smart phones but clearly you haven't read Rogers policy last summer

i bought a 3G in 2008 and in 2009 they said "customers who purchased a 3G between july - september are eligilbe for promotional pricing" (or something along those lines)

then last year...

here's proof straight from Rogers blog.

http://redboard.rogers.com/2010/iphone-4-launches-tomorrow-on-rogers/

fortunately for me, i fell under the criteria 2 years in a row. dont be jealous and learn your stuff before speaking or you'll come off as ignorant.

14. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

15. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Last year they were letting people upgrade at no penalty after only a year.
    No, it is not a good deal imo.