Phones This is how the S3 should have looked (altering my S3)

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Mac.World, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Mac.World, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I bought the White S3 (never had a white phone before), but I was hating the color more and more every day. I'm just not a white phone kinda guy. So, decided I was going to change the color and upgrade the look and feel of it while I was at it. Only tricky part was avoiding any metal battery covers, since that blocks the NFC chip from working. Real carbon fiber does as well. Which meant Kevlar or carbon fiber or metal 'looking' battery covers. I also needed to find a screen protector that covered the whole front of the phone AND changed the color (actually covering the white protion of the bezel.)

So began the search. At my local at&t store, they were selling anti-oil / anti-reflect screen protectors for the pebble blue phone and it covered the entire bezel except the buttons at the bottom. Good enough for me.

Next was the hard part. Finding a quality and good looking battery cover. Carbon Fiber is my preference, but it couldn't be real CF. I also wanted black or blue, so the whole phone was dark colored. Found one and only one on Amazon. Came in today. Feels nice and the phone no longer feels slippery on the back. Now i have a phone i like the look of. Why didn't Samsung make a back that was more like this? Anyway, here are the pics:

Front with anti reflective screen protector. Not a fan of this because it messes up the clarity of the display.
    [​IMG]

CF look black back battery cover. Feels extremely nice in the hand.
    [​IMG]

And of course, how it originally looked:
    [​IMG]

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's still made of plastic, therefore iPhone>Android in every aspect except a drop test. :p

3. Mac.World thread starter macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Yeah, yeah. Wasn't the 3gs, 3g and original iphone all made of plastic? So, does that mean iphone > iphone? :D

I had the iP4. To me the S3 actually feels better in the hand. It may not be a solid mass made of glass and metal, but I don't mind. Instead of feeling cold and soulless, the S3 has more of a welcoming and natural feel to it. I don't view it as a piece of art, more like an extension of me. I don't see the black mirror of tech, when i hold my phone. :)

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

If the GSIII was a matte black it would look a little better.

Carbon fiber skin on the back is an improvement.

5. Mac.World thread starter macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Funny you mention that. It appears an all black version is coming. Saw something online about that yesterday. But you are right. Black would have been my choice.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Just giving the obligatory "It feels cheap" remark. I loved my S2 and Galaxy Nexus and if the new iPhone doesn't "Wow" me, I'll be jumping to the S3.

7. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

That still looks like crap. You made it look like a knock off, even.

8. Mac.World thread starter macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Awesome! Glad you took the time out of your day just to post a negative comment about my phone. Does that somehow make you feel better?

9. Mac.World thread starter macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Ahh, got it. Let me put my sarcasm cap back on. :D post this again and i swear i will catch on this time. ;)

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have to actually agree, not sure if I like that. I think it's the fact that the dark blue shiny plastic clashes with the black. Think it would look much better with the red version and maybe the white.

But probably looks better in person too.

11. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Are we not allowed to post our opinions?

12. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I like it, much prefer it to the White S3, Ive never been a fan of White phones or white tech in general, I much prefer the sleek black look.

13. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Whether it was made the way it is, or the way you wish it to be, the GS3 is a crappy lookin' phone regardless.

Samsung, especially now after this trial, will be nothing more than a cheap knock-off Apple-wannabe who will never catch up again.

14. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

I agree... Anyway, the back of SG3 should be like the nexus which in my opinion is much better

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sorry, OP, but I like the original look better than your "improvement"
    But we all have our own tastes and opinion
    If you are happy with it, that is all that counts
    But if you post it publicly, be prepared for others to voice their opinion too

16. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Hey buddy... I want some of what you're smoking please.

Must be pretty strong.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Apparently sarcasm doesn't get picked up to well on this here forum. Very serious!!!!

18. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

no one said you werent?
    I personally dont like the design either, just no need to be rude. There is a nice, and rude way to say the same thing.

19. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

S3 black version coming soon :7 OP custom vinyls wtf!

20. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

dont take it personal ;) look at his other posts on here.

21. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Wasn't it metal/glass/plastic?

Anyways, IMO it looks way better as well, enjoy.

22. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

I completely agree. :cool:

23. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

24. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

hahahha really? The iphone 4 and 4s have glass back and fronts... if it falls flush with the surfice, it is more likely to break than plastic.. Ive had a 4 and a 4s back and front shatter falling from 3-4 feet. only Landing on its back.

check some drop test video lol

25. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Now do this:

http://www.sammobile.com/2012/08/16/i9300xxdlg4-galaxy-s-iii-android-4-1-1-jelly-bean-test-firmware/

----------

Jesus christ do people not read the entire thread????? Did we skim past the part where I said EXCEPT?