This is how you can game on a MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nostylez, Jan 11, 2013.

1. nostylez macrumors member

So you want to game on a MacBook but don't have the performance in the graphics department. Well check these guys out here. It's very promising this thunderbolt technology.

I want to see some gameplay videos hopefully they can get some up it would nice to see how it really performs.

2. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

question because i'm not well versed in this stuff...

would that work as a 2, or 3 video "outs"? arent most videocards 16x?

does TB have enough bandwidth to get everything out of that card?

apologies if my questions are stupid.

3. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

I believe TB is 4x PCIe

4. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

TB is around pcie 2.0 x4

TH05 is pcie 2.0 x2

sonnet echo express, mlogic and magma 3t are all pcie 2.0 x4, the magma one even offers enough power for a 680

the best and most plug and play solution, IMO, is either sonnet echo express SE and the mLogic mLink, they accept up to 7'' gpus, so the best idea would be to go for the 7750, since that doesnt need a 12v+ rail. Since that gpu is so basic there wouldnt be a bottleneck, but check toms hardware review of the sonnet echo express pro to see the bottleneck first hand

Those setups are plug and play, install the drivers and you are done, game away, the TH05 isnt, not that its sold anymore

This for me is the future, and Im actually waiting for haswell to come to the rmbp 13 to make a purchase, another great thing that they could add is for someone to come up with a sata cable (for the rmbp 13), so that I can install whatever SSD that is 2.5'' in there. Also it wouldnt kill to have 16gb of ram and they could have used a Quad cpu in there, the cooling really can handle, less than 70c under load? This is something very new for apple.

So the best idea is to go to frys, buy a base rmbp 13 for 1500 + 400 for either sonnet or mlogic + 100 for the 7750, so 2k for a machine that can game much better than the rmbp 15 or most notebooks out there, only some gaming notebooks equipped with the 675mx and higher would win in terms of performance.

5. nostylez thread starter macrumors member

It's quite surprising the performance coming out of these eGPU, though it is using desktop gpus it's nice knowing you can actually set up a small portable machine with enough grunt to play games or even take it to LANs if that's your thing.

They have just shown a video of dirt 3 benchmark running at retina 13" 2560x1600 more than playable down right ridiculous coming out of a 13".

Thunderbolt is truly future tech.