Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Does this work for Snow Leopard as well???

In SL if you connect an external display, close the laptop lid to put it to sleep, wake the laptop with an external keyboard or mouse and then open the lid again the laptop screen stays off anyway.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
In SL if you connect an external display, close the laptop lid to put it to sleep, wake the laptop with an external keyboard or mouse and then open the lid again the laptop screen stays off anyway.

Hmmm... thats actually better than running the terminal command and rebooting.

raftr

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Ireland
This Terminal command makes my computer go to sleep mode in 5 seconds after waking up, only a full restart can keep it on.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
This doesn't appear to be working for me, ran the first terminal command and entered password then restarted. It still was using the internal display. What do I have to do to get this to work or does it no longer work under 10.7.2?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Thanks so much for this. Now i'm one step closer to fully migrating to Lion from SL. Dunno what Apple were thinking messing with the feature in the first instance.

Last edited:

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I somewhat fail to appreciate which problem this solves.

I can mirror displays, in which case the screen with the smaller resolution determines the overall resolution apparently. Then turn brightness to zero.

Then I can not mirror displays, in which case I have two, the built in and the external display. Again turn brightness to zero.

I guess what is missing is an option to have only one display, e.g. similar to what happens in mirror mode, but running with the native resolution of the external screen. Am I right?

Why would you want to keep the MBP open but the display dark?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Alternatively, keep pressing the brightness button...

And now someone probably feels stupid...

Not the same. If you move your mouse to the left/right all the way, your mouse would disappear onto the other screen. Sounds like this turns off the laptop screen entirely, which avoids this. The advantage is that you 1) don't lose resources running a screen that is not used and 2) better air circulation with the lid open.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
other than "air circulation" what other advatages are there by doing this instead of clamshell?

i just purchased a 24" samsung LED monitor, and the purpuse of it is to convert my MBP to a desktop while i work at my desk, i have no intentions of using two monitors at the same time, just the 24" as the only display.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Like has already been said; you don't have to split your VRAM and your mouse doesn't inadvertently fly off to the notebook screen repeatedly.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
is that in resposne to my question?

I think it was, however, I don't think it's what you were asking. I took your question as: open-with-integrated-display-disabled vs. closed

In that case, the only things being considered are 1) heat (like you already identified) and 2) someone mentioned WiFi speeds (never heard this before, I'd be really curious)

:)

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I think it was, however, I don't think it's what you were asking. I took your question as: open-with-integrated-display-disabled vs. closed

In that case, the only things being considered are 1) heat (like you already identified) and 2) someone mentioned WiFi speeds (never heard this before, I'd be really curious)

:)

thanks

and do i have to pick mirror display? or does clamshell mode automatically switch from the MBP display to the external display

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
other than "air circulation" what other advatages are there by doing this instead of clamshell?

is that in resposne to my question?

Yours and another user above. But i now realize what you were really asking and D.T. has it right. Heat and maybe Wi-Fi. Mostly Heat.

thanks

and do i have to pick mirror display? or does clamshell mode automatically switch from the MBP display to the external display
Clamshell mode automatically switches but open lid mode, in Lion, without the above hack, won't. It'll assume you want to use both screens unlike Snow Leopard.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Yours and another user above. But i now realize what you were really asking and D.T. has it right. Heat and maybe Wi-Fi. Mostly Heat.

Clamshell mode automatically switches but open lid mode, in Lion, without the above hack, won't. It'll assume you want to use both screens unlike Snow Leopard.

Thanks

madflava54

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2011
Is there a way to keep the laptop from going to sleep? This worked but when I came back to my computer, it went to sleep.

Thanks for figuring this out!

madflava54

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2011
Sorry to post this again.

Is there any way to keep the laptop from going to sleep? The command works well as I have the laptop open and the monitor is off. However, the laptop goes to sleep when I'm idle for like 10 minutes. The Sys Pref says do not sleep if plugged in too.

perpetuity

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
Broken now

After the 10.8.2 update just released I can't get anything to turn off the laptop's built-in display. 2011 MacBook Air.

Previously I had applied the "sudo nvram boot-args="iog=0x0"" solution and it worked like a charm.

Sleepily noticed my internal screen on, re-applied the nvram command to no effect.

Pissed that there is not an option to turn off the internal screen:
1. to decrease vram usage
2. i like using the built-in keyboard
3. i love using the built-in trackpad
4. i don't like just dimming the screen

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I have a mid 2013 r-mbp which typically serves as a desktop replacement. I have it hooked to a thunderbolt display.

When I run the laptop in camshell mode (closed) I do notice a couple degree temperature increase and I do not like the heat transferring directly into the laptop display.

So what I do is keep the laptop open, but put a small magnet right below the left side speaker (i use a piece of microfiber cloth inbetween the magnet and computer to prevent any scratches).

This tricks the laptop into thinking its in clamshell mode, gives me the benefits of extra cooling and the computer is using less resources driving two high resolution displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.