Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
They ARE in a class by themselves.

No other smartphone can match the iPhone in terms of popularity and sales. Many have tried and they've all failed. Quarter after quarter, year after year, the iPhone (whichever is the newest one) is ALWAYS the best selling smartphone in the world.

That would give me cause to be arrogant if I were them. And really, they are the only game in town if you prefer iOS. So from that standpoint there is no competition.

Que?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...de-smartphone-marketshare-smaller-oems-rising

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
There is a level of arrogance and narcissism in Apples top tier that will always be there. Shiller claiming the 1080p 6+ screen in the best that's out there was evidence of that. But then again they're salesman, what do you expect them to say.

I agree. Being a bit arrogant is only a natural part of their masterful way of maintaining their brand. I don't think even the most devout Apple haters can disagree about their skill in that area. The way they speak about their company and products is all psychology, not about being objectively truthful. In this, they have certainly always been in a class of their own. If Apple Pay becomes successful in a way that Google Pay hasn't achieved at all yet, this will definitely have quite a lot to do with it. Simply put, they know how to make themselves and their products come across as reliable and trustworthy.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Def going with the 6. I printed off the PDF that gives you dimensions of the phones and as you can see below, the iPhone is almost identical in length/width to the Nexus 5 (which is as big of a phone as I can go and handle with one hand.)
The 6+ is friggin humongous. Way, way, way to big for anything I want to carry around.
I've already got my order in with the local T-Mobile store for a 64gb Space Gray iPhone 6. (Helps to know the guys that work there.)

I honestly think apple should have spec'd the hell out of one phone, 5 inch display. I still think the Nexus 5 is the perfect size phone. I know it would be impossible for apple to pull it off with the bezels it requires.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Don't forget - battery life is bad too.....

Ya, I don't know that I know exactly what Active Notifications is so I won't comment on it. The always listening part is neat I guess. Do we think Apple wouldn't have done "Hey Siri" if Moto hadn't pushed them?
Battery life is bad on the X? You haven't even used one. Battery life is good to excellent for the size of the phone and battery. It def is not bad.

----------

I honestly think apple should have spec'd the hell out of one phone, 5 inch display. I still think the Nexus 5 is the perfect size phone. I know it would be impossible for apple to pull it off with the bezels it requires.
I agree. I would have been happy had they kept the depth the same as the iPhone 5, given us 2gb of RAM, a 1080p screen, a 32gb base storage option, packed in a 2500mAh battery and stuffed it in the 4.7" shell. That would have been perfect (for me).

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
- We don't need more RAM, when some of these 2GB Samsungs are having lag issues when browsing, that's not because your Google Search is taking 2GB of RAM, it's because the engines and stuff behind that browser need to be improved. Better chips = Better efficiency, better code = Less lagging.

I agree that the main culprit behind RAM problems in the iPhone isn't a lack of RAM but rather the coding... However, saying that the iPhone doesn't benefit from more RAM because coding needs to improve is really talking about two separate issues.

For example, having more RAM would make the device more likely to survive long-term.

Having better code (even now) would mean that Safari doesn't refresh its tabs incessantly, or refresh apps that you left ten seconds earlier. I'm afraid that adding RAM won't fix this issue, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't appreciate more RAM.

Ultimately, we'd have both more RAM and more efficient / better coding. It seems we have neither.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

You're giving me total marketshare. I'm not an idiot - I know Samsung leads the world as far as overall smartphone sales.

I'm saying there is no single handset that competes with the iPhone. Each year the iPhone is the best selling single handset in the world. Samsung sells hundreds of different smartphones at dozens of sizes and price points.

----------

Battery life is bad on the X? You haven't even used one. Battery life is good to excellent for the size of the phone and battery. It def is not bad.

I apologize - I was speaking of the 2014 version. Apparently reviews are saying the battery life is pretty poor.

I have not used one, you are correct. Just going by reviews I've read.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
For people who vehemently claim to not like the iPhone you guys sure obsess about it...like A LOT.

Wonder what it's like to have Apple frequently live in your thoughts rent-free. Stemming from dat visceral desire to continually re-validate your decision to be an Android user.

Funny enough, the fact that many of you are members of this site means a lot of you have contributed to Apple's bottom line/hype machine at some point.

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I agree that the main culprit behind RAM problems in the iPhone isn't a lack of RAM but rather the coding... However, saying that the iPhone doesn't benefit from more RAM because coding needs to improve is really talking about two separate issues.

For example, having more RAM would make the device more likely to survive long-term.

Having better code (even now) would mean that Safari doesn't refresh its tabs incessantly, or refresh apps that you left ten seconds earlier. I'm afraid that adding RAM won't fix this issue, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't appreciate more RAM.

Ultimately, we'd have both more RAM and more efficient / better coding. It seems we have neither.

But Safari doesn't do this....at least not on my 5S.

I'm not saying more wouldn't be better. But whether or not its necessary is debateable.

That being said, I was farily confident they would move to 2GB this year and am slightly disappointed they didn't. But I don't know what (engineering wise) goes into these devices so perhaps there's a reason. And since it hasn't affected my user experience to this point, I don't see a problem.

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
I know my personal experience is barely any indication, but almost all my family, co-workers, friends, and just people I see on a regular basis seem to be moving the opposite direction. Loyalty is never a given.

I am a staunch apple collector. I have a huge apple collection and even I'm fed up with their tactics. I guess I don't like being taken advantage of. I can see their plan a mile away. Slowly drip out the updates since you can't go anywhere else for IOS ecosystem. The same has been done with their computers. Mac Pro anyone. Got to say it has been going on for a long time too and I really hoped once steve left it would change but it only has gotten worse. 16gb entry level is a clear ramp to get you to buy the 64gb. No OIS in the 4.7 is clearly to knock you up to the 5.5" + model. Its this kind of business that I am just tired of seeing from my favorite company. Wish it wasn't this way. Wish I could be proud of my apple purchase but it is just too stingy of them. 4gb ram stock in the macbook air is just bs and they know it. Its a tactic to get you to order the 8gb from their site. I understand they are a business but the Mob is a business too. Don't make it right.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I am a staunch apple collector. I have a huge apple collection and even I'm fed up with their tactics. I guess I don't like being taken advantage of. I can see their plan a mile away. Slowly drip out the updates since you can't go anywhere else for IOS ecosystem. The same has been down with their computers. Mac Pro anyone. Got to say it has been going on for a long time too and I really hoped once steve left it would change but it only has gotten worse. 16gb entry level is a clear ramp to get you to buy the 64gb. No OIS in the 4.7 is clearly to knock you up to the 5.5" + model. Its this kind of business that I am just tired of seeing from my favorite company. Wish it wasn't this way. Wish I could be proud of my apple purchase but it is just too stingy of them. 4gb ram stock in the macbook air is just bs and they know it. Its a tactic to get you to order the 8gb from their site. I understand they are a business but the Mob is a business too. Don't make it right.

lol....oh boy.

Well move on to a company you feel isn't screwing you. Go ahead.....good luck.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I am a staunch apple collector. I have a huge apple collection and even I'm fed up with their tactics. I guess I don't like being taken advantage of. I can see their plan a mile away. Slowly drip out the updates since you can't go anywhere else for IOS ecosystem. The same has been done with their computers. Mac Pro anyone. Got to say it has been going on for a long time too and I really hoped once steve left it would change but it only has gotten worse. 16gb entry level is a clear ramp to get you to buy the 64gb. No OIS in the 4.7 is clearly to knock you up to the 5.5" + model. Its this kind of business that I am just tired of seeing from my favorite company. Wish it wasn't this way. Wish I could be proud of my apple purchase but it is just too stingy of them. 4gb ram stock in the macbook air is just bs and they know it. Its a tactic to get you to order the 8gb from their site. I understand they are a business but the Mob is a business too. Don't make it right.

Yea, I never upgrade my ram or HD thru Apple. The price is just not justified when I can get my own for 1/4 the price.

lol....oh boy.

Well move on to a company you feel isn't screwing you. Go ahead.....good luck.

Do you really have to make a snarl remark towards everyone that states someone against Apple?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Sorry you can't see them creepin up the back of your skirt but they are there. ;)

No, I just don't have any entitlement. I guess that may make me an easy target for being "screwed" but honestly, if I deem the device unworthy of the money being asked, I won't buy it. Pretty simple.

I see this from consumers quite a bit and experienced a ton of it working at Best Buy. The companies aren't there for the customer first. Their priority is to make money. Obviously, the best way to do so is to make a great product that customers love but they don't OWE anyone anything.

Each consumer decides on a value proposition of their own and makes purchasing decisions based on it. There shouldn't be any "Apple SHOULD do this" or "Apple OWES me that". The iPhone 6 and 6+ are what they are. If you don't feel the value is there, you don't buy it.

This is what consumers don't understand. YOU have the ultimate power. Companies can't screw you over because YOU choose whether or not to buy their products. Vote with your wallet bro - I'll do the same. And in the end, we'll both have a product that works for us.

----------

Yea, I never upgrade my ram or HD thru Apple. The price is just not justified when I can get my own for 1/4 the price.

Do you really have to make a snarl remark towards everyone that states someone against Apple?

Apple is simply an example in this case - I've seen the same entitled consumer attitude across a ton of industries. I think its ridiculous and quite honestly the same attitude that is seeping its way into every aspect of our society and causing many of the problems we're facing today (a discussion for another time and forum).

I reserve my snarky comments for those who make idiotic generalizations or comments based on untrue information. Just so happens there's a lot of FUD and nonsense spewed about Apple on these forums - especially right after a keynote.

Ironically enough, your first comment (response to the first person you quoted) illustrates my point nicely. You made the decision to NOT purchase Apple RAM or HD because its too expensive and you can find alternatives that are cheaper and work for you.

It's really that simple and a lot less sinister than people make it. Even if Apple IS sitting in their campus saying "Muahahah this idiots are eating it up - we can't wait to make this obsolete in 12 months just to spite them", you can easily wield your power as a consumer and say "No thanks, I'm not buying anymore".

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
No, I just don't have any entitlement. I guess that may make me an easy target for being "screwed" but honestly, if I deem the device unworthy of the money being asked, I won't buy it. Pretty simple.

I see this from consumers quite a bit and experienced a ton of it working at Best Buy. The companies aren't there for the customer first. Their priority is to make money. Obviously, the best way to do so is to make a great product that customers love but they don't OWE anyone anything.

Each consumer decides on a value proposition of their own and makes purchasing decisions based on it. There shouldn't be any "Apple SHOULD do this" or "Apple OWES me that". The iPhone 6 and 6+ are what they are. If you don't feel the value is there, you don't buy it.

This is what consumers don't understand. YOU have the ultimate power. Companies can't screw you over because YOU choose whether or not to buy their products. Vote with your wallet bro - I'll do the same. And in the end, we'll both have a product that works for us.

We do vote with our wallets, but why should we shut up too? We all have the right to complain. I'm pretty sure your post history shows you complaining as well. Apple is not exempt for complaints and judgments.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
You're giving me total marketshare. I'm not an idiot - I know Samsung leads the world as far as overall smartphone sales.

I'm saying there is no single handset that competes with the iPhone. Each year the iPhone is the best selling single handset in the world. Samsung sells hundreds of different smartphones at dozens of sizes and price points.

----------

I apologize - I was speaking of the 2014 version. Apparently reviews are saying the battery life is pretty poor.

I have not used one, you are correct. Just going by reviews I've read.

Whilst I agree that the iPhone is the biggest selling phone, the S series gives the iPhone a good run for its money. It's too simplistic to say that Samsung sells a bunch of phones and totally disregard the sales of Samsung's flagships. In the UK when I look around me I see iPhones and samsung galaxy phones, (S series), far more than any other manufacturer.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
We do vote with our wallets, but why should we shut up too? We all have the right to complain.

About what?

I suppose, freedom of speech, you can say whatever you want....

But since Apple owes you nothing, you really don't have the RIGHT (in that they should change some practice) to whine.

There's a difference between having a list of wants versus complaining that Apple isn't do everything it can and claiming I'm owed those wants in the next iPhone.

Just so happens my list of 4 wants are all met with the iPhone 6 and iOS 8.

----------

Whilst I agree that the iPhone is the biggest selling phone, the S series gives the iPhone a good run for its money. It's too simplistic to say that Samsung sells a bunch of phones and totally disregard the sales of Samsung's flagships. In the UK when I look around me I see iPhones and samsung galaxy phones, (S series), far more than any other manufacturer.

I wouldn't disregard them if they truly competed.

The GS5 hasn't been able to unseat the 5S since it was released....and the 5S is 5-6 months older.

The S4 is Samsung's best selling smartphone I believe - I don't think they've sold more than 60-70 million of them total.....there are multiple iPhones that have surpassed that mark.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
About what?

But since Apple owes you nothing, you really don't have the RIGHT (in that they should change some practice) to whine.

There's a difference between having a list of wants versus complaining that Apple isn't do everything it can and claiming I'm owed those wants in the next iPhone.

----------

I wouldn't disregard them if they truly competed.

The GS5 hasn't been able to unseat the 5S since it was released....and the 5S is 5-6 months older.

The S4 is Samsung's best selling smartphone I believe - I don't think they've sold more than 60-70 million of them total.....there are multiple iPhones that have surpassed that mark.

Not in the US, it did well in other countries. For example in July it was the top selling phone in the UK. Regardless of whether they have sold as much as Apple or not the S series sells a hell of a lot more than any other handset, more than most of the Android flagships combined and they sell a significant number.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
About what?

I simply started this thread as a discussion of why many of us don't feel the iPhone 6/6+ is a major upgrade or a competitive device. It's the normal thing to discuss after announcements of products. ;)

It may seem like whining to you cause it's directed towards Apple, but I don't see you vigorously defending Android or other phones in the same manner, cause we all criticize them too.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Is that what you did? LOL. Seeing as how this was your thread.

Which Samsung?

What are you trying to say.....I'm confused. I own quite a few smartphones as you can see in my signature. I've owned an iPhone since 2009. I decided I wanted to branch out as I have both a personal line and work line (I carry two phones at a time) and I wanted to try Android on one of them.

I didn't switch and I don't feel screwed. So again, what are you trying to insinuate?

----------

I simply started this thread as a discussion of why many of us don't feel the iPhone 6/6+ is a major upgrade or a competitive device. It's the normal thing to discuss after announcements of products. ;)

It may seem like whining to you cause it's directed towards Apple, but I don't see you vigorously defending Android or other phones in the same manner, cause we all criticize them too.

Oh I'm not defending any of that - you're taking my disgust for the whole "entitlement" mentality and applying it to any criticism at all.

I responded to the poster who claims Apple is screwing everyone through some sinister plot.....I'm sorry - but that's ridiculous.

And even if it wasn't, if that's how you feel, go buy something else.

All that aside though.....I still have yet to see any REAL criticism of the 6 and 6+. The whole height thing has become a huge deal...other than that....

Oh, and there are plenty of Android defenders on here. I've done my share of defending Android (hell, even Samsung whom I loathe).

----------

Not in the US, it did well in other countries. For example in July it was the top selling phone in the UK. Regardless of whether they have sold as much as Apple or not the S series sells a hell of a lot more than any other handset, more than most of the Android flagships combined and they sell a significant number.

I'm talking worldwide.....you can parse it out in various countries if you want. But I AM TALKING WORLDWIDE.

Can't be much clearer.

Never said the Galaxy hasn't sold a boatload more than others.....simply that Apple with the iPhone sits in a class of its own and has yet to be dethroned.

Last edited by a moderator:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
All that aside though.....I still have yet to see any REAL criticism of the 6 and 6+. The whole height thing has become a huge deal...other than that....

The main criticism is the iPhone 6/6+ is more of the same and less of a difference and advancement. Other manufacturers seem like they are making a better effort design, spec, and software wise. People are getting tired of the slow incremental progression.

It will be interesting to see sales this time around, as the iPhone 6/6+ will have the heaviest competition than any previous iPhone had.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
The title of the article and the fact that you bolded one simple statement that can be summed up as the writer is a giant troll is hilarious. Why not say something more rather than just agreeing with such a basic and seriously over-used statement?

Enjoy your Android, I'll enjoy my iPhone...do what you want in life.

Everywhere I go, that cat always speaks the truth.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The main criticism is the iPhone 6/6+ is more of the same and less of a difference and advancement. Other manufacturers seem like they are making a better effort design, spec, and software wise. People are getting tired of the slow incremental progression.

It will be interesting to see sales this time around, as the iPhone 6/6+ will have the heaviest competition than any previous iPhone had.

None of this makes sense though....iOS 8 is a HUGE departure for Apple as it will allow for a ton of developer features to be added across a ton of apps.

I'm not sure what more Apple could do with the design of the iPhone....and I fail to see what "major advancements" other companies are making that trump the iPhone. Nothing I've seen has been revolutionary for quite some time.

Don't get me started on spec sheet numbers.....somehow iPhones compete in real world statistics with battery life, display quality, camera quality etc despite smaller numbers in those spec categories.

People can be tired all they want....its a maturing industry. Don't expect to see much at this point.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
So in summary;

If you choose to buy this product that i am unimpressed with, you're an idiot.

Because you had the audacity to decide spend your money differently.

#EveryPlatform-basedArgumentEver

You must have read another article. Buy what you please, nobody will care either way. But don't complain about those who feel the right to complain about a product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.