This is my 3th MacBook Pro !!! (backlight bleeding)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gkhndes, Dec 4, 2011.

1. gkhndes, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

gkhndes macrumors member

Hi,

I live in london.
    I bought a mbp 13'', i5, in covent garden store and that one had faulty screen. It was extremely yellow. They found me right me a new one but that had a terrible backlight bleeding in the bottom of the screen. Then I decided change in a different store. I went to regents street and They brought me a new one. I took it to home and I saw a Backlight Bleeding in the bottom of the screen while watching a widescreen movie in a dark room.

. I got a new one and I promised myself to return the product and get refund if it has the same problem, And of course it has a bleeding (even worse than other ones)

Here is the picture.
    http://cl.ly/331v3h0T0I0B0V3v1n3u

I dont wanna try other mac. I wasted my last two days with returning and testing macs.
    I can't believe this is happening in Apple products. 3 of them had that bleeding.
    Mac is the best thing happened to me so far but when I think about these faulty screens, it just doesn't feel good because also it is a very expensive machine.
    Should I live with it ?

2. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

3. some idiot macrumors member

the one after 2st

4. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

You should just get it exchanged instead of hopping to different stores....Its not as bad as you make it sound but yes light leak usually happens in products when they first release them.....like updated macbook pros.....iPad 2 when it was first released had that same issue, its nothing terrible but because you have paid the money might as well get it the way its suppose to be.

Next time open it in store, get it checked before you walk out! I'm sure they won't mind.

5. gkhndes thread starter macrumors member

so sorry, 3RD one .
    and yea actually it is my 4th one. Yes I changed 4 times !!!!!!!!

----------

yes I did this in Regents street store, same day exchange and same store. Both of them had it !!!! Thats why I decided to try other stores.

btw in those 4 ones, all of them were different to each other. 3rd one had extremely noisy hdd and fan, while the one I have is very very quiet.

:confused:

----------

And I have to add this.

I said to them this one has a bleeding and this is what they said, '' if we open one more mac for you, probably that one will also have same thing ''. would you go for another or hopping other stores ????

The thing is they don't call it 'fault'. They say we have different manufacturers for screens for our products, so it changes from one to other product. Is that a joke ??? So they should include this on their website while marketing them.

ALSO, you can't try backlight bleeding in the store. It appears in a room with less light at full brightness. And only when the screen is black. For example while watching a wide screen movie. Like the ones on iPads. Not under shinny spotlights in apple store.

:apple:

6. mick5 macrumors newbie

so which one you have now? did you find right MBP ?

7. gkhndes thread starter macrumors member

unfortunately the pic I put here is the one I have at the moment. You can only see it when the content on the screen is black. Just make something black full screen and you see it. ALL the mac I changed have it to some extent.

I had 2011 early model, and I don't remember this problem at all. I would recognise it.

This laptop is jus fantastic. So damn fast and quiet. I even see an improvement form the early 2011 model. The case is more softer , different quality. Also less quiet. No hdd or fan noise at all. There is no way I give up on this machine !

But I plan to try it for couple of weeks then get genius appointment and make them just change the screen, maybe this will help me. Getting a new mac is just useless effort . Trust me !

Also I just made quick search on internet about this bleeding, there are a lot topic in many forums.

8. psykick5 macrumors 6502

Go through every MBP from London to Berlin if you have to. You paid for it. It should come without this issue.

9. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

As others have said, you should have stuck with one store. I find it fishy that you would hop between stores (which is a bigger pain in the butt) instead of going back to the original store again, where they are familiar with your problem.

I think that you are moving from store to store because you realize your expectations are unreasonably high.

Also, your photo doesn't load for me.

10. gkhndes thread starter macrumors member

I told that I tried one store in same day and I had 2 change.

the screen has a bleeding ! still !
    and I kept saying I want a change. This is what they offered me 'You can try different store' and also they said we will change it for you once more but if the problem still continues you have to solve it in apple genius bar !!!

How can I stick then ??????.

btw, those stores are very close to each other ! it is not like travelling whole city.

You can try this pic. Someone else posted this somewhere, but anyway same problem.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/macbook pro backlight bleeding/osc808/mbpblbld.jpg

11. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

If there was a genuine problem with the computer they would have replaced it until you had one that worked.

12. gkhndes thread starter macrumors member

As I said 'You can't see it in Apple store' !!! :confused:

Actually this is the reason that I opened this thread. Maybe this screen bleeding is just normal. I wanted to learn your thoughts. Maybe someone with the same problem.
    but I shouldn't I guess...

:rolleyes:

13. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Do you always use your laptop by looking at a black screen?

It's normal. You're being nitpicky. If you've gone through 4, it's not an issue. It could be worse. I went through 5 during the great "cloudy white spot" issue with the first run of Aluminum 15" PowerBook G4s. THAT was an out of the ordinary issue, this is not...just a picky customer.

14. gkhndes thread starter macrumors member

I just watch movies a lot, I guess it can be problem while watching wide screen movies, but I can decrease the brightness to reduce its effect. I may loose my attention to it by time hopefully.

:confused:

15. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

You will, stop wasting your time running around to Apple Stores. I have the same issue with mine, but it doesn't bother me because I use my computer instead of stare at it looking for defects.

16. warvanov macrumors 6502a

I'd never noticed this before, but after reading this thread I tried it out on my refurbished 13" early '11 MBP and I have the same issue. I hesitate to call it a "problem" because it's so minor and I would never even have noticed it if I hadn't seen this thread.

I would say there's nothing really wrong with your computer, and that you shouldn't worry about it.

17. gkhndes thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much for your answer. I think I will forget about by time.

I learned a new word also, 'nitpicky' lol
    thanks

:apple:

18. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I am not even sure what the point of that photo is. You photograph a black screen in a black room and ring your hands about it being a huge issue, but I am not surprised by the result, or the photo. Cameras capture light. Taking mine into a pitch black room, with a black background, I got much the same result when I snap a photo with my iPhone.

How about a photo of something more realistic and practical, showing real world usage where this is actually a problem? Watching movies is not quite the same thing as photographing a black background in a dark room.

I tend to think that if this is your benchmark, you are unfortunately not going to find happiness, no matter how many times you exchange it. But that said, you never know. Maybe you will find that needle in a haystack that meets your expectations.

19. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It's an edge lit TN display, you're going to get a bit of backlight bleed in a dark room. Even my HR-AG 15" does it, and that cost me £££ extra.

Learn to live with it.

20. thundersteele macrumors 68030

In dark conditions and black screen content, the lower part of the screen will be brighter of course.

I never took a photo of my screen in full darkness, but I don't think my backlight has this uneven structure. It might be annoying e.g. when watching movies on the macbook.

For the OP:
    I would try it under somewhat realistic conditions, i.e. in a room with some indirect light, and maybe watch a darkish movie in full screen, or do something else that you normally would do on your laptop, and check if it disturbs you. If it does, go and get another exchange. I wouldn't wait for the exchange period to run out.

21. gkhndes thread starter macrumors member

I am not so testing it with a iPhone camera. it is just recognisable by eyes, and I just can prove it by just this way. Yes, in dark room iPhone camera makes those bleeding looking worse. You are right.

I know you should just use the product that you buy. But I am not trying to find deficit. I am just testing !!!!. But isn't it normal just testing it for the simplest tasks , both hardware and software, especially on expensive things. This is normal. when you buy a new car, you test it everywhere in every weather conditions, etc.

I have limited time(14days). so I just try to use it in many conditions.

22. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Yep. I jumped straight in my new car and did 126mph round the M60. I told the policeman that stopped me that I was only testing it out.