This Is My First iPhone - Question About Cellular Vs Wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arftech, Oct 14, 2014.

1. arftech macrumors regular

arftech

This is my first iPhone and I'm having a blast! It's so cool!

How do I toggle off my cellular service if I just want to use wifi only to play content on the internet? This will negate me from data usage and the associated cost correct? Ok, I'm a noob so please don't flame me if the answer is obvious.

2. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Settings-general-cellular and then toggle it to off. That's right, you won't use data. Congrats on your first iphone :)

3. arftech thread starter macrumors regular

arftech

Thanks...that was so ****ing obvious and I feel like a complete man idiot!:eek:

4. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

It's all good :)

5. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I, too, have my first iPhone... actually first phone that I could call completely mine, enjoy it. Though, mine is the 5c. :)

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

You don't even need to turn off cellular data. If you are connected to WiFi, your device will only use WiFi as your source for data. Enjoy your phone!

7. arftech thread starter macrumors regular

arftech

Thanks and enjoy your phone too. The 5 series from what I understand is fantastic!

I always wanted an iPhone and coming from a gawd awful BlackBerry Storm is a revelation! My family always upgraded their phones and sometime used my Verizon upgrade to do so.:( Told them point blank...it's my turn!

----------

Thanks much!

8. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Yeah, there's no need to turn off cellular if you're in range of a wifi network that you can use, since your phone will just use that. The only real exception is if you are in an area with a spotty wifi signal. In that case it's possible you could lose the signal and drop back to cellular without noticing.

9. urda Suspended

urda

Wouldn't it be easier to toggle the phone into airplane mode and then toggle Wi-Fi back on? That means you can do all the required work from the home screen, instead of having to open the settings app.

10. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

No you're not. The poster who told you to turn off the cellular told you to do something that's inconvenient and unnecessary. Listen to the poster who said that when you're connected to wifi your phone will only use wifi for data, at no cost to your data plan.

11. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Yep, just connect to your wifi and then wifi will take over cellular whenever you are in range. Just look for the wifi symbol to know you are connected to wifi instead of cellular.

No need to do anything else.