This is my setup? how would it work?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eric Lewis, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

So here is my setup

...........iMac.........
    ............|...........
    ........."wifi"..........
    ...........|..............
    ______Router_____
    |........................|
    PC.....................PC
    |.......................|
    Canon...............Brother
    MP160...............MFC6800

So i need to be able to print documents from the iMac in my kitchen wireless to the other printers hooked to windows xp? I shared the Printers through XP? and the mac doesnt see them? what do I do? and how do i make this work? Thanks

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Can you see the printers from the respective XP machines? That is, the one on the other windows computer?

Regarding your diagram, are you sure your setup has the WiFi access point on the same network as the windows machines? Just to be sure, I'd try plugging your mac into the wired network and see if that makes any difference.

Also, have you defined any of the computers to use static IP addresses? This is especially helpful for an always-on computer acting as a print server. Very often SMB does not propagate host names well but one can still access a share or printer by it's IP address, if known.

If all else fails, I highly sugest a dedicated print server. I have the Netgear PS101 and it works great with XP and OS X. That and I don't have to leave a computer on all the time to print something out... and the printer can be hidden somewhere away from the computer. Just sayin'...

3. marktesssing macrumors newbie

make sure the two PCs are on the same workgroup and that you can see each other through My Network Places/view workgroup computers. if you can, then make sure the mac has a name, add it to the same workgroup as the PCs and turn-on print sharing from system pref, finally add a printer to the mac (browse for one or both PC printers).

One got my first mac yesterday and was able to set up the same thing, just one printer but two PCs. I refered to Mac Help for "naming a mac" and "workgroup". I was able to get it working in minutes.