This is not a typical 1st Gen, don't expect early upgrade

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by profmatt, Mar 17, 2015.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

The more I gaze lovingly at photos of the Apple Watch and watch videos of it on autorepeat, the more I think that Apple has put a lot of thought into this thing.

I don't think they're shipping minimum viable product as they arguably did with the iPhone and iPad, with the expectation of shipping the real thing next year.

I think they really need us early adopters to act as brand ambassadors. I think they need us to love it. And I think they know we're going to be up in arms if a clearly better version is available next year, when people have spent up to $1,000 on the first one.

2. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

I think you're in for a rude awakening, Mr. Brand Ambassador.

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

Wow, that thought is the same exact one I had when I got my original iPhone. And then they screwed me by releasing an iPhone 3G next year that had MMS. Yes, they wouldn't port MMS to the original iPhone.

That being said, I can't wait to buy my Apple Watch. I would never trade the time I had with my $600 iPhone 1 8gb. LOL.

Edit: Also, original iPad that they discontinued support of almost immediately. I think it lasted 1 year. or max 2 years of iOS upgrades.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Thank you for starting my day off with a laugh.

5. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

Yeah, no...

With Android Wear evolving, there's no chance in hell Apple will hold off on making new generations of the Apple Watch, it would be giving up the sector.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Huh? I have the original iPad - they support it via OS through 5.1

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It shipped with iOS 3.2 so it only got 2 years of OS updates.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Felt longer :)

9. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I agree in a way.

I think the next watch will be released in Spring 2017. So, we'll have 2 years.

But note that the watch will be 'upgraded' in essence both in September 2015 and September 2016 with whatever new sensors the iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 have.

The Watch is mostly a dumb-terminal that has most 'smart' features relegated to be controlled by the iPhone. When iPhone adds new sensors or features, then the Watch gets them. No doubt the iPhone 6s will have something that makes the watch better.

It will take awhile for batteries to improve. This is the only real reason why Apple relegates the 'smarts' to an iPhone. If the watch did all what it does by itself, the battery would only last 4 hours. To get 18 hours, the phone does all the heavy lifting. In 2 years time, I can see the watch maybe get 2 days life in working 'by itself', or a week paired with an iPhone.

10. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I have a hard time thinking of new sensors on the phone that the watch will be able to use. Got any examples?

I expect yearly upgrades, with sensor additions and improvements happening on the watch.

11. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

To perhaps contradict myself, every time Apple upgrades a product, I reassure myself that it's safe to buy it because how could the next upgrade possibly be any better? What could it possibly do that I'd want? Somehow Apple always manages to think of something.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I think it will get it's first update in Autumn 2016 ready for the Christmas holiday gift frenzy.

13. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

That's true, and I have no doubt that Apple will keep improving both products.

My question was more about specific sensors. There were a lot of rumors about various sensors being put in the watch, but in the end all we got was a heart rate sensor. So I can think of many sensors that they might add to the watch. I just can't think of any that could be added to the phone that specifically impact the functionality of the watch.

14. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

For example, a barometer, altimeter, temperature/humidity... all could come on a phone to enhance the watch to show how high up you are, what the humidity or temperature is where you actually are, will it rain is imminent where you actually are (and not rely on the internet connection)

I expect less upgrades like the Apple TV.

15. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Haha, that comment did make me laugh here in my office.

I think part of it depends how much those Samsung and other Android wearables update and improve. As the market changes, so will the products themselves. Like someone mentioned the Apple TV not being updated too often........part of that is because in my mind, none of the other set top boxes have really made any crazy leaps and bounds, so there is no reason for Apple to. If the watch follows the same sort of trend(which I don't think it will) then if the other Android watches don't get many snazzy upgrades then the watch will probably have a longer run. I can't think of too many new upgrades to those Samsung watches I would see commercials for about a year ago, I could be wrong though. I do think that now with Apple coming into the picture, there will be a higher focus on them and the companies will start to improve them more frequently.

16. KPOM macrumors G5

It might get an update this fall for 2015 gift giving. Remember, it looks like Apple was initially preparing for a 2014 launch.

17. CaneCollegeboy macrumors regular

Remember Android wear is getting ISO compatibility and all the competition will be in version 2.0+

Apple will update soon, at the very least one year but odds are that they will have something new for the Christmas season. Business is business.

18. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Won't someone think of the Brand Ambassadors!?

19. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Can't see it happening myself, that would really upset the early adopters. :eek:

20. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

There is NO CHANCE that Apple releases a new watch before this holiday season. That would make no sense at all.

21. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

I disagree. I think it will be very much like the iPad upgrade path. The iPad 2 was a major upgrade and very worth it. I just want the gen 1 to play with while I wait. I also think it will be similar to the original iPod touch. The features rolled out one by one and made the touch amazing, while the original software was pretty restricted. I wonder if we'll see jailbroken Apple Watches?

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yeah, I don't think Apple wants a repeat of the first iPhone, where Jobs had to write soothing words to all the early adopters who were mad about the price plummeting $200 (after only two months) due to dropping demand:

Then again, if the demand does drop, then I'd bet we could see some deals for the holidays. So everyone, please, hold off and don't buy it right away :D

23. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I kind of agree. I do not expect a serious upgrade for at least 2 years. The only things they would really change would be longer battery life or sensors and I just do not see it evolving that fast. They would already have to be working on it NOW to get it in two years.

I think the biggest things we will see this year is innovation in apps. I hope someone comes up with something amazing that no one really thought about before because it needed the right platform.

I'm sure the chip makers are working on smaller more powerful and less power using chips. THAT would be the best we can hope for next.

----------

I don't think the demand will drop. Every time one of us answers our phone with the watch and talks at it someone will be converted. :cool:

Please don't hope for product failure just so you can get it cheaper.

24. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

Brand Ambassador? They will update it next year. If they don't, they will have a hard time competing against everyone else that is updating their watches. If smartwatches catch on, and Apple's offering becomes stale, like the Apple TV, you risk losing people to Android, which means losing iPhone customers. They can't afford to have something like that happen. There will be a version 2 about a year from now, maybe sooner, maybe slightly later, and it will be a major improvement over the current device.

----------

Do you actually think that?

25. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

If sales were lower than expected and it persuades Apple to lower the price before I get one, I would welcome it with open arms. :D