THIS IS NOT the same old question about hooking my macbook to a HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LundieF, Jul 23, 2010.

1. LundieF macrumors newbie

I've got the cables (mini dvi to dvi to hdmi), they are hooked up correctly, I've got a great picture on the screen (Samsung tv). The problem is that the picture on the TV screen is not what is on my computer. It seems like the TV display is showing my desktop pictures folder in a random order. This is totally independent of what is going on on the computer screen. Any ideas on how to remedy this?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement > MIRROR DISPLAYS.

What you see now, is the extended desktop due to using the TV as extended display.

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses. (see rule #3 under Minor Problems)
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question has been asked several times?

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Did you want the TV to mirror what is on your MacBook's screen?

4. LundieF thread starter macrumors newbie

I do want to see exactly what's on my computer, on the TV.

I don't think I'm seeing the extension, because the photos I'm seeing on the tv display aren't the same as what I'm seeing as my desktop pattern. They are from the same folder, and change at the same time, but the same photo does not appear in both places.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Then you'll want to follow spinnerlys advice here.

6. LundieF thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, spinn you are the man. Got it working. The whole crew of my boat thanks you guys.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I could quote myself, but as iBookG4user (best Apple notebook to date, except the 12" PB) already did it, I will just repeat myself.

Open System Preferences (Applications folder or use Spotlight to find it), select the Displays preference, click on Arrangement, move the cursor to the bottom left, where it says MIRROR DISPLAYS and check that box.

But if you have a Mac with 1280 x 800 pixel, the TV will down-scale to 12800 x 800 pixel. If you Mac has 2560 x 1440 pixel and the TV only offers 1368 x 768 or something similar, the Mac's display will be down-scaled to 1368 x 768 or something similar. In short: the device (TV or Mac) with the lower maximum resolution will determine the resolution of the other device. If you're lucky and have a TV with 1920 x 1080 pixel and a 21.5" iMac with 1920 x 1080 pixel, you will get 1920 x 1080 pixel.

The different background images on the external TV can be set via System Preferences > Desktop and Screensaver.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3