This is not working...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by elaniemay, Mar 17, 2012.

1. elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I have my new iPad and my iPad 2 on the same apple ID because I purchased apps for my kids that I didn't want to have to re-purchase by making a new ID. But, it seems that when I update apps or purchase them on my new iPad, it doesn't want to update or load them on the iPad 2. It just sits there "waiting." WTF? Should I just load the iPad 2 as new and re-purchase the apps or am I missing something? Also, when I sync my iPad, I want my new one to always remain the main iPad and the iPad 2 to be the one that has to be "edited down" because of the excess apps that would load on it. Is that practical?

2. 1490k macrumors newbie

I had a similar issue with mine. Unfortunately you just have to have a bit of patience with it, mine got about 2/3 of the way through re-downloading the apps and then for about 2 hours just got stuck with the rest on 'waiting'. After that it just started working again.

I would hazard a guess there is a lot of data on apples servers for the App Store at the moment and this may be causing the problems (probably some sort of automated queuing system on the back end if one particular app is being downloaded too many times simultaneously or if indeed the overall traffic is too high)

3. pat park macrumors 6502a

last night app updating took forever. The Apple servers must be strained at the moment with the launch and everyone activating, redownloading have apps.

Patience in these difficult times!:D

4. donnaw macrumors 65816

I have 4 iPads on the same ID. My husband's, my grandkids iPad 1, my iPad 2, and now my new iPad. Some of the apps are on all of the iPads but to be honest, most are not since we all use the iPads differently.

I don't have any set to update automatically. When you buy an app it goes into your 'purchased' pot. If you want to put that app on your other iPad just go to the app store to 'Purchased' and redownload it to the other iPad. You don't have to pay for it again.

I find it much easier to maintain each iPad on its own this way. Much, much less confusing.

5. elaniemay thread starter macrumors 6502

elaniemay

Okay this is very helpful! So -- and pardon my ignorance -- what to you do when you sync each? Both are called viewed as the same iPad on iTunes, so won't it throw off the "balance" that I create? For example, when I sync my iPad, I want everything to remain as it is on the iPad. When I sync my kids' iPad, which will have significantly less on it, won't it make that iPad the same as mine? Really, as long as MY iPad is can sync easily, I'm happy (as long as all that is entailed with the kids' iPad is a bit of deleting). My husband agreed to man that task.

Am I making sense? I feel like I am making this more complex than it is, but it's just not clear to me.

6. donnaw macrumors 65816

When you sync using your computer you should create a 'profile' for each device. You then have the option to check off the apps you want to sync. it's rather confusing to explain in text. But connect your first device and go to the Apps list. First transfer purchases for the device. Then check the apps you want to sync. Then sync.

Now connect your second device and do the same. Just be sure to not sync before you go to the Apps screen and check your apps off.

I also have my movies, music, etc set tot not sync automatically.

To be honest, since iCloud I don't sync via my computer except when I received my new iPad. I ran a sync on my old one since its quicker to restore from backup rather than iCloud. I find it much easier to maintain each device on its own. If you set up your iCloud are separate accounts on each device you can backup separately. You need to do this. Having done that now if you even have to do a restore you can do it from iCloud. You really don't even need the computer any more.

Sorry if this is a bit confusing. Let me recap what I do:

1). Set up a different profile for each device on your computer. Once you do this you can maintain the apps separately. DO NOT HAVE YOUR DEVICES SET TO AUTOMATICALLY SYNC WITH EACH OTHER. Otherwise you'll get the same apps automatically.

2). Set up separate iCloud accounts for each device. This doesn't cost anything. Go to Settongs > iCloud and it will walk you through the setup.

I'll be around the house for another couple of hours if you want to post or PM me on specific questions. Otherwise I'll be back tonight and can answer you. Once you have it set up its really easy.