This is odd: MP 3,1 Cold Boots fine, runs fine, can't reboot

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MacPhotog, Apr 4, 2013.

1. MacPhotog macrumors newbie

This is a new one for me:
    My "Early '08" Mac Pro (3,1) runs just fine when it's on, everything works properly.
    When I shut it down, it starts back up (cold boots) just fine (and with my SSD boot drive, starts up real quick! :)). When I try to hot-boot (restart) it however, the machine consistently freezes somewhere in the boot process, forcing me to manually power down the machine and cold boot it.

I just ran the update to go from 10.8.2 to 10.8.3. The machine was doing this on 8.2 and continues to do it after the update on 8.3.

I could do a clean system install, but I really would rather not.
    If all else fails I could wipe my boot drive and do a complete reinstall, but I'd REALLY like to avoid that... reinstalling all of the software would be a couple-of-days process.

Any ideas?

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Try verbose mode while hot-booting and see where it hangs.
    It looks like hardware issue, though.
    Did you try SMC reset?

3. MacPhotog thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't try SMC reset... and honestly, until now I'd never heard of it!

To be honest, while I'm much more knowledgeable than the average computer user, I'm far less technically knowledgeable than most of the people here on these forums (I was proud of myself when I successfully upgraded my MP 3,1's CPUs :)), so pretty much every time I read a post here I learn something new.

I just googled SMC reset so I'll try that. If that doesn't fix the issue I'll google "verbose mode" and try to figure out how to use it. :D

Thanks for the help!!

4. MacPhotog thread starter macrumors newbie

SMC reset did the trick!

Thanks guys, I learned something new today! :)

5. OS6-OSX macrumors 6502a

OS6-OSX

I am familliar with SMC. Some say unplug and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds. Plug in the MP and boot. If you posted on 4-5-13 about SMC, and wrote the "SMC reset did the trick" on 11-19-13, how long did you actually hold that power button! Too many seconds to count!:eek:

6. MacVidCards Suspended

If I run a Titan through Furmark and it knocks down the MP via power issue I HAVE to do an SMC reset to re-boot.

The MP seems to say "OH..NO !!! I'm not going to boot and have that hateful card kill me again !!" It acts dead to the world, no response from power button.

Unplug.

Hold down power button for 3-5 seconds

Replug

Boot again