this is Odd!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sk3pt1c, Jun 13, 2007.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

right, i shut down and when i power up my powerbook again i get this:
    the colour of the screen is as when you'd go into the apple hardware test for example, a bit more light than the light blue you get at startup.
    i get a square icon with a globe inside it flashing a few times...
    and then a folder icon flashing that's got a question mark and then a finder icon in it, and these two alternate for like 5 seconds..
    then it just boots up as usual! :eek:
    has anyone had this happen to them before?
    should i be running to the nearest service center?

2. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Sounds like it's searching for a NetBoot server.

3. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

Yep, I have seen this with a few macs. My G5 does it. It just started once, I forget what I did right before hand, but it hasnt stopped since. My powerbook used to do it too. I never found a cause or explanation. My MacBook hasn't started doing it yet but I wouldnt be surprised if I ever see it.

4. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I'm not sure, but I imagine that there is a way to dictate the order in which Open Firmware determines boot order. Might want to investigate, and change the order to:

1) Hard Drive
    2) CD/DVD
    3) Network

Rather than

1) Network
    2) CD/DVD
    3) HD

5. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i just love macforums, i get to learn new things every time i read or post something, thanks you guys! :)

turns out that OS X was not selected in the Startup Disk system preference
    (nor was network startup) so it looked for a startup elsewhere first before dropping back to the hard drive os.
    selected it now and it just goes in to the os straight away.
    still odd though, i'd think it'd boot into the "built in" os if nothing else was specified to it...
    anywayz, thanks again! :)

6. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

What it probably did, since nothing was specified was consider all possible options, and select whichever was available. Glad to help

7. mymacmini macrumors newbie

I have had this exact same thing happen to me and i took it to the genius bar. The Genius told me that it was searching for the netboot server. To fix - go to preferences and to startup disk. Make sure your local hard drive is first in line and highlighted then click ok and bam! you should be good to go. If not, stop by your nearest Genius Bar and ask them to configure it if it keeps happening.