Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
edesignuk said:
That is truly sickening. Does Floriduh have the death penalty? These two have it coming :mad:

Yes - those sentenced to death get fried in an electric chair that's still a little iffy i.e. it sometimes takes a few jolts to work properly in order to fulfill its intended purpose.

Unfortunately, I don't think that these barbarians qualify for Florida's *hot seat* :(

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
on one level i terrible for the people involved in the situation.

On a completely separate level I am thinking that this ranks at about #10,000 in terms of bad things that were done just in the last week and it is just getting attention because she is a young, presumably white, suburban girl.

I also thought chanoc's line was funny. Maybe that explains why my pity/sorrow is so unenthusiastic.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
absolut_mac said:
Yes - those sentenced to death get fried in an electric chair that's still a little iffy i.e. it sometimes takes a few jolts to work properly in order to fulfill its intended purpose.

Unfortunately, I don't think that these barbarians qualify for Florida's *hot seat* :(

For something as heinous as this, there isn't really an appropriate punishment here on Earth. This is one of those that we can't judge the full extent. It's the providence of God to deal with them.

My real concern is for the children. Can't really even imagine what they've gone through. :(

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
maxterpiece said:
On a completely separate level I am thinking that this ranks at about #10,000 in terms of bad things that were done just in the last week and it is just getting attention because she is a young, presumably white, suburban girl.
Does this mean you should not feel sympathy for those that suffer just because their suffering may not be as great as the suffering of others? Or that one person's death is somehow not as significant as the deaths of others?

Perhaps I'm just naive, but I don't think the magnitude of a tragedy should determine the response to it. A loss like this is always extremely sad. In my opinion, you have become way too cynical. If I may make a suggestion, I would recommend that you travel to the places in the world where you perceive these "bad things" occur. Maybe being faced with them will change the way you view bad things. I would recommend that the person who made a joke about this, and those that found it funny, do the same.

chanoc

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska USA
stubeeef said:
It is obvious you have no children.

Who needs kids? I see people everyday that fit this description: 20 years-old, or so, couple with 3-5 kids between the ages of 2-6. Husband works for 8.00 an hour, and wife collects welfare - gee what a life. :rolleyes:

I am in my mid-thirties and have no kids, and intend to never have kids. Without a CEO salary it is impossible to live the "good life". In this great country known as the USA, couples go into debt just for giving birth because we have a f#cked up medical system.

chanoc

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska USA
edesignuk said:
wow man, you're so smart, clever, witty, sensitive, bet you can't keep the ladies away.

:rolleyes:

Actually I am 33 banging an 19 year-old hottie. No I am not sensitive or witty, but am smart - 3.5 GPA, studying Anthropology. :D

So what makes you so smart, witty, sensitive and sexy? :p

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
chanoc said:
Actually I am 33 banging an 19 year-old hottie. No I am not sensitive or witty, but am smart - 3.5 GPA, studying Antropology. :D

For once I finally agree with him... :p

And if you think edesignuk is sexy, I'd have to say that 19-year-old hottie he's banging is a guy. :eek:

Edit: Remember, educk is not the 'tar... though he does get that a lot. :p

chanoc

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska USA
Sun Baked said:
For once I finally agree with him... :p

And if you think edesignuk is sexy, I'd have to say that 19-year-old hottie he's banging is a guy. :eek:

Edit: Remember, educk is not the 'tar... though he does get that a lot. :p

You're confussed. I never implied anybody was sexy, mierly joked at their expense. No her name in Amanda, and not a guy. Sorry no pics I can post on here.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
chanoc said:

FYI, don't let the Avatar confuse you. edesignuk is actually a very nice young man.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
chanoc said:
You're confussed. I never implied anybody was sexy, mierly joked at their expense. No her name in Amanda, and not a guy. Sorry no pics I can post on here.

For one who professes to be so intelligent, your spelling and grammar leave quite a lot to be desired.

In fact, good speaking skills and grammar will help you more fully realize your goal of the *American Dream*, whatever that means - which in your case seems to be the ability to earn more money.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
wdlove said:
For something as heinous as this, there isn't really an appropriate punishment here on Earth. This is one of those that we can't judge the full extent. It's the providence of God to deal with them.

My real concern is for the children. Can't really even imagine what they've gone through. :(

I agree with you 100%.

I just can't imagine 14 year old kids weighing under 40lbs. My 6 year old weighs almost as much as that!

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
jamdr said:
Does this mean you should not feel sympathy for those that suffer just because their suffering may not be as great as the suffering of others? Or that one person's death is somehow not as significant as the deaths of others?

Perhaps I'm just naive, but I don't think the magnitude of a tragedy should determine the response to it. A loss like this is always extremely sad. In my opinion, you have become way too cynical. If I may make a suggestion, I would recommend that you travel to the places in the world where you perceive these "bad things" occur. Maybe being faced with them will change the way you view bad things. I would recommend that the person who made a joke about this, and those that found it funny, do the same.

My feeling is that sitting there and feeling sad about it means nothing. Why waste the effort. If you are going to feel bad about something then you better commit yourself to alleviating that situation. Furthermore, I think that these stories take attention away from MUCH more serious issues. The press will focus on them because people have an easier time relating to them and because they aren't as complicated, as, say the situation in Iraq, or poverty in America or across the world.

And you know what? It is these very problems that create the demented people who do things like this. You can't treat the symptom. You have to treat the cause.

Don't call me cynical. A cynic doesn't believe things change. I am a realist.

chanoc

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska USA
absolut_mac said:
For one who professes to be so intelligent, your spelling and grammar leave quite a lot to be desired.

In fact, good speaking skills and grammar will help you more fully realize your goal of the *American Dream*, whatever that means - which in your case seems to be the ability to earn more money.

When I am drunk, I could give a rat's ass about spelling and grammar, so meander on. How do you know about my version of the "American dream"? How do you know what will help me realize my goal? My dream is to leave neoconservative Jesusland and relocate to secular Europe. Eat scat! :p

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
chanoc said:
My dream is to leave neoconservative Jesusland and relocate to secular Europe. Eat scat! :p

And that has made my month! Thankyou and adios!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.