Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
One question. Do I still have 14 days to return it or is it a warranty issue now? I'm giving one more chance to Apple. If they can't build working computers, I'll build a Hackintosh for me.

I'm pretty sure its 14 days from when you get your current device.

To the underlined, I cant beleive that after this thread you still have that mentality. They will replace it every time until you get what you want, but if you want to play 5 year old and throw a fit be our guest.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I guess it would depend on where the stuck pixel was and what color it was stuck on.

These panels have 2 million pixels and are extremely expensive IPS type panels.

The price of your iMac would be much, much higher if Apple forced their suppliers to only provide 100% perfect panels.

Maybe for the truly picky individuals Apple should offer a tested guaranteed perfect display on the device for an extra $500 purchase fee.

If you think you don't get bad pixels on $1000 PC displays, guess what, you do.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I just talked with Apple and the guy who I was talking to was really terrified how this can be possible. He said that it's very, very rare that customer gets 2 defective computer and he makes sure that next one won't have any. He also speeded up shipping and delivery/pick up so this will be picked up in few hours and the next one will come with fastest delivery.

Very good service from Apple. I just hope that I don't have to call 'em about this anymore...

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
At the risk of feeding the trolls...

All LCD screens can have stuck pixels... this isn't something unique to Apple products. You think your computer is expensive now? Imagine how expensive it would be if Apple forced its suppliers to supply only panels with zero bad pixels.

If it makes you upset, just return it. Don't think that demanding an iPod is going to solve the problem.

Sorry, that doesn't fly.

If your paying this much for it it better come perfect. I have two other large panel LCD monitors including one from a on name brand and none had a pixel issue.

I would demand a refund for any iMac with a bad pixel. I am not handing them money for "we tried". I guarantee they lean on their suppliers and its my money and I would lean on them.

Worse, is Apple's help article trying to intimidate buyers from bring in a unit with issues because "there may be a charge for evaluation"

thank goodness for my Visa backer, I can put anything to the curb and the seller will eat it.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Sorry, that doesn't fly.

If your paying this much for it it better come perfect. I have two other large panel LCD monitors including one from a on name brand and none had a pixel issue.

I would demand a refund for any iMac with a bad pixel. I am not handing them money for "we tried". I guarantee they lean on their suppliers and its my money and I would lean on them.

Worse, is Apple's help article trying to intimidate buyers from bring in a unit with issues because "there may be a charge for evaluation"

thank goodness for my Visa backer, I can put anything to the curb and the seller will eat it.

Finally a good post. I didn't pay for dead pixels so I don't want 'em. That's everyones own choice do they want to change it, but at least I spend all my money for this and then I don't get what I wanted.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
Sorry, that doesn't fly.

Wrong. As has been said several times now, the price would be much higher, were you able to, legitimately, expect a dead pixel-free panel each time you purchased an Apple computer.

At the price you're paying, you can't expect that. Yes, Apple's computers are expensive purchases, but not relative to what you would be paying for guaranteed dead pixel-free iMacs.

Oh, and your sample size regarding your other two monitors is small enough to be meaningless, imo.

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
Sorry to hear of all your trouble. I don't know if you're just being particularly unlucky or what. As far as I can see, my iMac hasn't got a single stuck or dead pixel, and I believe we originally ordered at around the same time. :confused:

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Sorry, that doesn't fly.

LCD panels are split into grades, based on how many stuck/dead pixels are on the panel from the factory. Grade A panels are guaranteed to have no dead pixels, and only a SINGLE bright pixel at the most - these panels are basically 100% perfect.

Needless to say, Apple don't use Grade A panels in their screens as they are significantly more expensive than Grade B - in the region of hundreds more. Now, being Grade B, you still stand a good chance of getting a perfect screen, but there is the possibility that you may get some pixel problems. Hardly anybody uses Grade A panels, which is why a lot of companies refuse to switch screens as they don't have a Grade A policy - in essence, 3 or so is within tolerance.

Apple are in fact, very good if people do ask for a replacement - they usually get it, especially on a new machine. However, you don't have a right to demand a pixel-perfect screen from Apple, they only swap them out of goodwill. Apple aren't making you pay for a Grade A panel - if they were, Mac prices would be even higher.

Personally, I've never had a dead pixel on my Apple hardware, and that includes 6 Cinema Displays over time, 4 laptops and iPod/iPhones.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Just by reading, it's like those that are upset think that Apple is giving them bad displays. If you don't like it, return it, Apple will GLADLY give you an exchange or refund but don't get all upset and demand free things because you're getting "defects" that's already been documented as something that COULD happen. Just because Apple is selling "bad" displays doesn't mean other companies aren't. They all have similar policies which state that x amount of dead pixels are within spec. Again, they're not trying to push out bad displays, if you happen to get one, that sucks but you have two options - exchange or refund. Don't come here and complain because it feels like Apple is rejecting your exchange or refund.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
LCD panels are split into grades, based on how many stuck/dead pixels are on the panel from the factory. Grade A panels are guaranteed to have no dead pixels, and only a SINGLE bright pixel at the most - these panels are basically 100% perfect.

Needless to say, Apple don't use Grade A panels in their screens as they are significantly more expensive than Grade B - in the region of hundreds more. Now, being Grade B, you still stand a good chance of getting a perfect screen, but there is the possibility that you may get some pixel problems. Hardly anybody uses Grade A panels, which is why a lot of companies refuse to switch screens as they don't have a Grade A policy - in essence, 3 or so is within tolerance.

Apple are in fact, very good if people do ask for a replacement - they usually get it, especially on a new machine. However, you don't have a right to demand a pixel-perfect screen from Apple, they only swap them out of goodwill. Apple aren't making you pay for a Grade A panel - if they were, Mac prices would be even higher.

Personally, I've never had a dead pixel on my Apple hardware, and that includes 6 Cinema Displays over time, 4 laptops and iPod/iPhones.
The underlined is the most important part here. By all accounts Apple is VERY good with making sure theyre customers are happy after buying.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
That post made me kinda happy. The possibility that the 3rd one will have 'em is ridiculously small.

Hmm, no - this is the gambler's fallacy. If there is 1/10 chance that a screen has stuck pixel, the odds remain at 1/10 that any particular screen will no matter how many you get and return.

The chances in the beginning of getting three in a row would be 1/1000 but you already returned two and the odds reset to 1/10 (edit: I was incorrect to say "reset" ... nothing resets since the odds don't change ... "the odds remain at 1/10") (or whatever the odds are) for the third.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Hmm, no - this is the gambler's fallacy. If there is 1/10 chance that a screen has stuck pixel, the odds remain at 1/10 that any particular screen will.

The chances in the beginning of getting three in a row would be 1/1000 but you already returned two and the odds reset to 1/10 (or whatever the odds are) for the third.

(*high-five*) Excellent data management skills! :p What plinden said, each unit you exchange for is independent, your odds don't increase/decrease so you're still stuck with that 1/10 chance/odds.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I know it can happen again and again, but how normal it is that you take it out of the box and it happens two times in a row. I accept 'em like a year after but not when I take it out of the ****ing box! Apple should do something for this problem

honestly i think about 10% of screen have a dead or stuck pixel. and that is true for all manufacturers. i check for dead pixels but unless i see them all the time (more an issue with stuck pixels in the middle) then i just forget about it. my 24" dell has 5 dead pixels or so. i never notice them. my PB had 2, my lenovo notebook 1 and my work dell has one. Only my MBP has a pristine screen.

So unless you see the pixel all the time just forget about it and be happy.

My two cents.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
Dont even get me started about refurbs...my current opinion of them they are crap :rolleyes:
I am currently on my 3rd exchanged refurb which is also being returned.

...I would demand a refund for any iMac with a bad pixel.

I think we have a cause and effect relationship here.

braeburn22

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
Queensland Australia
pesky pixels

Hey

I too have just bought the same iMac 2.93 GHz and have a dead pixel. I had to speak with apple long and hard before they would do anything about it, it's currently getting the screen replaced. I hope that the new screen is perfect, I won't accept anything less. Next time I buy a mac, it will be from a store, and I will insist that they open the box and I see the machine on before I accept it.

Olivier L.

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
(*high-five*) Excellent data management skills! :p What plinden said, each unit you exchange for is independent, your odds don't increase/decrease so you're still stuck with that 1/10 chance/odds.

Well, actually you removed two bad screens from the World Stock of iMacs, so the probability is modified.. :D

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Hey

I too have just bought the same iMac 2.93 GHz and have a dead pixel. I had to speak with apple long and hard before they would do anything about it, it's currently getting the screen replaced. I hope that the new screen is perfect, I won't accept anything less. Next time I buy a mac, it will be from a store, and I will insist that they open the box and I see the machine on before I accept it.

Where did you buy it? I bought my from Apple Online Store and both times I've talked with Apple have been great. First time it was short phone call and she just gave me all information that I need (how to pack it, e-mails...). Second phone call was longer but even better. The guy was very polite and was very sorry about it. He even sent me an email after the call with his personal email and phone number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.