This is Ridiculous (phone froze when buying apps)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greenmymac, Aug 17, 2008.

1. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Ok Last night I decided to buy Space Envi and since I didn't have my computer near me I purchased it through the Mobile App Store..BIG Mistake my phone froze and hard reset on my so I had to restore... Well today I decided to buy Koi Pond through the iTunes App Store... Another BIG Mistake plugged my phone in to sync and 2 mins. later in the middle of the sync (koi pond was the only thing it added) my phone hard reset again and now 2 hours later it wont go past the logo so im having to restore again..... Im up to about 2 restores a week..... come on Apple sometimes I miss 1.1.4 and iTunes 7.6

2. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

That sucks, and is partially why I'm staying away from Apps for now, they seem to be creating more problems than they solve.

3. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha greenmymac,

I can empathize with you on your iPhone 3G issues. I suffered through some rather severe, albeit different, issues myself. I posted my solution on this thread, but here are the steps I took to resolve ALL of my issues:

1. In iTunes, leave the Sync Applications checked, but UNCHECK all individual applications. This will delete the apps from your iPhone, which may take a bit of time depending on the number of apps installed. It is important to get back to only a "stock" load.

2. Once that process is complete, unmount your iPhone (eject it from within iTunes and disconnect the syncing cable). Once completed, mount your iPhone again (connect the syncing cable) and get an initial "stock" backup, which should take between 1 and 2 minutes (but probably the former).

3. Now that your iPhone has its initial "stock" backup (ie., no 3rd party apps), add those apps still available in the App Store (I wouldn't add NetShare at this time, for example) and repeat step 2. This initial "fully loaded" backup will take a bit of time, once again depending on the number of apps now installed. For example, my initial "fully loaded" backup took right around 20 minutes (I currently have 47 apps loaded).

4. Once this backup has been completed, repeat step 2 once again and your backup should be between 1 and 2 minutes only. I'm not sure, but this seems to be an incremental backup only.

It may seem overly complicated or unduly "difficult", but that's what worked for me. It may also work for you as well.

HawaiiMacAddict

4. odp1979 macrumors member

odp1979

I once had to restore my phone twice in one day. It was ridiculous. I finally went back to the Apple store and got a replacement.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Interesting. I thought it was the apps and I've been slowly adding adding my back to see if I can find the offending one. I'm holding out for a firmware update. Hope your replacement works better than the original.

6. stevearm macrumors 6502a

7. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I am having a similar situation, but it is different enough that it is making me go :confused: and :mad:. I kept getting that odd "datalogger" error message every time I went to sync my iPhone with my MB, and I read here that the best way to combat this is with a restore. No biggie I thought, I've done this before.

Boy, was I wrong. I can restore the iPhone no problem. It is when it is finished that the headaches begin. The iPhone goes back to the restored state, but every time I attempt to connect it to my MB and sync again, I get the restore screen where it wants me to choose from a backup to restore from or if I want to create it as a new iPhone. Every single time.

I will try the option HawaiiMacAddict offered and I hope it works. If not, I'm heading into the local Apple store to pick up an iMac and :apple:TV for the upcoming semester within the next day or two, hopefully they can help if need be.

I just don't want to tell my wife, she'll never let me live it down! :D Of course, she loves my old 1st Gen iPhone, so hopefully she won't roast me too bad.

8. meagain macrumors 68030

If anyone experiencing this has access to a pure, clean, pristine, new iTunes - try it on that computer. This worked for me. I'm blaming this all on iTunes. I'm convinced there's something wonky with some of our accounts that can't handle this all of a sudden.

9. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Well, I restored it again (was doing it while typing my last post) and it *seems* to be working much better. It is is in the process of backing up my iPhone, hopefully this will be the time it works.

It is just frustrating, because other than this and that annoying "datalogger" error message I was getting before, I've never had a serious problem with either of my iPhones that couldn't be fixed by a power cycle, a sync, or worst case, a restore.

If it is still messing up, I'll let you know once I have my new iMac to connect to. Probably tomorrow or Tuesday, as my semester starts next Monday.

10. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Was pretty pissed that Apple decided to quit supporting XP 64 bit. When 7.7 came out I tried to install and it wouldn't.

So I ended up just buying another laptop as my other was 3 years old anyway. Slow but still works.

Anybody else go through this?

11. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

No, I switched from Win to Mac because I was sick of the headaches. Or so I thought. ;)

*Edit - Okay, this last restore did it, both iPhone and iTunes are playing nice again. WHEW!