This is stupid Best Buy blocks macrumors.com and many other sites

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by max2, Apr 26, 2018.

1. max2 macrumors 68020

Why ?

This is on their demo units of tablets and phones. :(

2. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

3. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

It's probably in an attempt to block comparison shopping (in store at least.)

4. max2 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah I think your right but people could just instead do it on their smartphones

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Why does it matter? What is the need here?

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Until they buy cellphone jammers?

7. lclev macrumors regular

lclev

I guess I never tried to check out MacRumors in Best Buy. I imagine they don't want people just standing around and using their demo computers to go on sites and mess around. Their idea is to let you check out things like the keyboard, speed, ease of use - you know the features of the product. Not play around on the internet. Granted how fast a computer can load a site is a good thing to check. And while I can see the need to see GPU performance with games, I don't think they can allow that for just a casual shopper. But obviously they permit more hands on than an online store does. And unless you have an authorized Apple store close - or Best Buy - you won't be getting a hands on of any macs at an online.

I admit to using my iPhone to price check so I am very glad stores are not using jammers.

Just some observations. :cool:

Lisa

8. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

They’re probably running a narrow whitelist, rather than blocking macrumors specifically. That’s an easy way to stop kids loading up dodgy content for giggles.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If they want to face fines and possible imprisonment.
    http://www.eweek.com/news/fcc-may-target-amazon-other-retailers-in-jammer-crackdown

"Jammers cannot be marketed or operated in the United States except in the very limited context of authorized, official use by the federal government."
    FCC FAQ on jammers (PDF File): https://transition.fcc.gov/eb/jammerenforcement/jamfaq.pdf

Cell phones often get little or no signal in stores because of construction materials used. Some stores work better either because a cell tower is closer, materials used don't block signals or they have installed boosters.

I imagine some countries allow cell jammers. I can't imagine many would. Since it would cause problems with their cellular networks. Since this was about Best Buy. I'm assuming US.