This is supposed to be gorilla glass?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stonyboys, Dec 8, 2013.

1. stonyboys macrumors 6502

Got my iphone 5 last october so it's been more than a year now. But the screen looks like I took sandpaper and started rubbing. I take care of my phone too, no screen protector but I do use a case that extends past the front so screen would never touch a table even when it's face down. I'm guessing this is caused by sand/dust particles in my pocket? Either way this is supposed to be gorilla glass but it sure doesn't look like it. Is anyone else seeing a more than expected amount of scratches on their iP5 screen?

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Gorilla glass or not, it's pretty scratch-resistant. I used my 5 without front protection for months but screen was mint when I sold it; and this was after being tossed around in my purses. Your screen looks as bad as you described? Something must have scratched it over and over because I've seen naked screens with tiny micro scratches, but that's only if you really look.

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I agree.

I owned my iPhone 5 for a little over a year with just a cheap bumper on it to add grip. I did tend to keep it in a belt holster while at work.

The screen was unmarked.

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I think I read somewhere (can't remember right now) that the tiny scratches on the screen are not actually scratches. Basically, the oleophobic is wearing off - unevenly.

I may be wrong or just made that up myself.:p

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Yes, you are scratching the coatings and not the glass. Don't like screen protectors? :confused:

6. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

"Ditto"...and I will add....

I have half a brain, and always use a good screen protector, and a case...Just in case I have an accident. Accidents do happen, and scratches someday may or will happen. Those that say from what I read on other posts, "I've never used a case or screen protector" are going to be very unhappy when an accident happens. Lucky now ? May not hold true later on. What if that luck runs out ? Please don't come back here, and complain. ;)

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'll say "Wow, that's the first time in 6 year's I've ever had a problem with an iPhone screen. Weird. Oh well, ruining one phone is still better than 6 years worth of using a screen protector. I made the right call."

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

"Taking care of it" helps but doesn't guarantee that you won't get scratches. Small particles harder than the screen will cause scratches. Even Gorilla Glass isn't unscratchable. If you're bothered by scratches then use a screen protector. If you don't care for screen protectors then don't use them just be aware of the potential risk. It's your call to make.

It's a matter of preference -- not of having or lacking half a brain.

9. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Never shattered an iPhone.
    I'm using them caseless since day one (summer 2007) ; had all the models except the 4S.
    No screen protecter, no case, no bumper...naked.

:cool:

10. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

My 5 is almost a year old now. Never a case/protector. Not experiencing the same at all. My screen is still pretty mint.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I don't like screen protectors. I never use them, and in the 2.5 years I've been using iPhones I've had no screen scratches. As long as you don't leave it face down on rough surfaces or carry something jagged in the same pocket, the screen should be pretty resilient.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Gorilla glass's claim to fame is being more damage-resistant (as in shattering, although still not shatter-proof), not scratch-resistant. However, you're scratching the oleophobic coating so it's different.

13. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I never put my iPhone in my pocket, your jeans will act like sandpaper over time.

14. Orka macrumors regular

Imo that gorrilla thing is overhyped.
    iPhone 5 screen is softer than iPhone 4s and is less scratch resistant and damage resistant.

Iphone 4s was and is much more durable phone. I'd say a lot more...

15. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

16. WillFisher macrumors 6502

WillFisher

As a 20 year old student who's been using the iPhone since the 3G, you can imagine I've had a load of screen shatters and scratches over the years due to my "half brain" of not using a screen protector or case.

Nope. Few scratches on the back and sides but never scratched/cracked a screen. Whatever glass they use is pretty tough.

Worst damage I have is actually a dent in my current iP5, which was caused by picking up my iPhone and catching the corner of my MBA. Yeah, that actually happened. Who knew!

17. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

You got it the wrong away around it is marketed as anti-scratch which makes it hard but brittle so will shatter slightly easier when dropped.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It was marketed as "Chemically strengthened to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic, the glass is ultra-durable and more scratch resistant than ever. It’s also recyclable." Unfortunately, you have to read between the lines. Never specifically said it was ultra-durable against drops. While the glass itself may be more scratch resistant, the oleophobic coating being more scratch prone defeats that purpose and is why you see more scratches on later generation iPhones compared to original iPhone and 3G.

19. 1DApple macrumors member

And your proof to back that statement up?

20. mateo124 macrumors regular

Its the oleophobic coating. I don't use a case on my iPhone but I ALWAYS use screen protectors, regardless of how scratch resistant they may claim to be. I just know I'll do something I regret if I don't use one.

21. 1DApple macrumors member

I have never used a screen protector on any generation of iPhone and haven't seen a scratch on the screen.

22. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I have had my iphone 5 since day one without a case, screen protector (or apple replacement) and my screen is almost pristine. I just make sure I don't put my keys or loose coins in the same pocket as my phone.

23. dt808 macrumors member

You guys might actually like this story..

Had the iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S.. all with just a simple plastic case, never a screen protector. Usually a cheap $5 ringke just for grip. Never scratched or cracked the screen. Got a samsung galaxy s3, one month after owning it.. shattered the screen. Went back to iPhone a couple weeks later.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

If you don't have anything else in your pocket and keep it clean there really shouldn't be an issue with keeping it in your pants pocket as millions do without any issues.

25. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

Unless you drop the iPhone 4 on a hard surface, then it will shatter instead of dent.