THIS is the app someone needs to come up with...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by itsjustmeee, Jan 21, 2011.

1. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

Someone needs to come out with a Mac app that can allow remote access an ipad. Anyone that has tried to explain to a non-tech person or senior citizen how to do certain tasks like log in and out of the store, or change an email setting knows what I'm talking about. It would be great to start an app on a Mac, punch in some access code, see the ipad screen and make adjustments accordingly. I've looked around and don't see something like this anywhere.

2. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

That really is an excellent idea. I am sure within the next six months (or sooner) someone will figure out how to do just that.:)

3. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I hope the person reading this that's going to design the app cuts me in on the deal!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's already out there. TeamViewer works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use.

5. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

See, that was fast. All you had to do was just think about it, and it got done.:)

6. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

You can't find it because it can't be done using the current SDK.

7. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

This allows you to control Windows, OSX, Linux, etc. on an iPad/iPhone. OP is asking for the other way around, he wants to be able to remote control someone's iPad from a Mac.

8. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It does that, too. It works both ways. You can control a Mac from a Mac, Windows from Windows, Mac from Windows, Windows from Mac, an iPad from a Mac, a Mac from an iPad, etc. Once you have it installed (very simple), you can either be the host or the remote on any device.

10. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've downloaded both the Mac software and the iphone app and I see no way to actually control the ipad from the computer. It works the other way around ... I can control my Macbook from my ipad but not what I was hoping for.

Are you sure this is possible?

11. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Teamviewer doesn't allow control of the iPad from a Mac or PC, and if it does they've hidden that feature very well in the app description and on their website. It's basically the same as LogMeIn.

The current SDK wouldn't allow such function at any rate, so you won't find any official app to do what you want. There may be something if you're jailbroken though.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're absolutely correct. Credit me with an error. I didn't test this and wasn't aware of this limitation.

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Um, I believe that would be a debit. But, it will hardly make a dent in your account. ;)