This is the easy question ever asked... (apps quitting by clicking red X)

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by SRLMJ23, Dec 17, 2013.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

And I am so embarrassed by asking this!

I just did a fresh install of Mavericks because 10.9.1 came out and I wanted to see how a fresh install and an instant install of 10.9.1 would effect some performance and other things (if at all!)

Anyway, for some reason when I close applications using the "Red X" in default Apple Apps (as that is all I have so far, have not installed anything else yet) it is literally closing them, not simply putting them how the default setting usually works, which is to basically minimize it in a way and not close it completely. Now, I have not touched ANY setting so far and as far as I remember this is not default Mavericks behavior!! For example, if I have Safari open and browsing and I hit the X it is acting like I am Cmd+Q Safari, or any other app for the matter.

Is the default in Mavericks and I am not remember or is something off here and if so what is the option in settings to change this? Sorry for such, what I feel is a dumb question but I have searched the web and what not and cannot find anything about this.

Thank for you help in advance and did I mention I am so embarrassed!!!!! :(

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In OS X (I don't know of any difference in Mavericks) if you click the red X on an app that is a single-window app, such as Photo Booth or System Preferences, it closes the the window and quits the app. If you click the red X on a multi-window app such as Safari, TextEdit, Preview, etc., it only closes the window but does not quit the app. As I said, I'm not aware of any changes to this in Mavericks. You may have something else at work, if that's what's happening.

3. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Yes, I cannot figure this out for the life of me. Since I have nothing installed yet and no options configured I am just going to do another fresh install and see if that fixes this, if not it is a call to Apple in the more later A.M., haha.

Thank you though GGJStudios for your response!

4. Bear macrumors G3

Information about Automatic Termination - read the comments as well.

After you run the command to disable this feature, you have to make sure you manually quit the applications that use automatic termination or you can just restart your system.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

A fresh install is not going to fix anything since nothing is broken.

The red dot only closes the window, and if the app has only a single window capability then it closes the app. System preferences only has a single window so click on the red dot there and it closes the app.

Apps that have or can have multiple windows like Safari (or Firefox or Chrome) only close when you hit Command-q or Click on the icon in the dock and select quit.

This is the standard behavior for osx, and it is not just the OSx default apps, but apps that you purchase or install on your own. The behavior has been there for as long as I an remember using OSx.

This situation confuses people migrating from windows a LOT.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As the OP mentioned, that's not the behavior they're seeing.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

grump.h...agh....I'm on some nasty pain meds...obviously misreading...especially since so many people don't understand the issue anyway.

I think I'm still doubting things since I read about the poster who said that the U.S. uses the Mayan calendar....I can't for the life of me figure out how he thought that...