All iPads This is the year of the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPad' started by stonyboys, Oct 25, 2014.

1. stonyboys macrumors 6502

This is just a theory I have regarding what apple is trying to do with their updates. I'm 100% sure apple knows right now what they are releasing in 2015, and have known for awhile. I think they purposely stagger the "good" updates for the iPad and iPhone.

Since they started releasing them in the same period:

iPhone 5: huge update
    iPad 4: incremental update

5s: incremental update
    iPad Air: huge update

6/6+: huge update
    Air 2: incremental

Next year we will see the incremental 6s. I think that's when they're going to release something big for the iPad. I have no idea what it is, but it's gonna be big. Does anybody else think so?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68020

This is the year of the iPhone

I honestly would argue the air 2 is a huge update and the air 1 as incremental imo. The supposed 3 core cpu and 2gb of ram is a big deal imo

I see the air 3 incremental and a major upgrade relative to the iPad mini 4 ( a8x or perhaps on par again with the bigger sibling )

3. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I disagree and feel that the 2GB of RAM alone on the Air 2 make it a huge update. IMHO, the Air 2 is what the original Air should have been.

4. LFCYNWA macrumors regular

To the general public I agree. Those of us who know about specs may feel the 2 is a big update but to the common consumer it isn't.

Next year will be all about the iPad. Spring will be for the pro. Fall will be for the redesign similar to the iPhone 6.

5. Closingracer macrumors 68020

I'll still say the iPad air 3 will be small update

6. Lucifer666, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

The year of the iPhone, right.

So I take it your not buying a new iPad

7. donnaw macrumors 65816

Page common consumer knows more than you give them credit for. Even regular folks know to research the web. They look at Amazon if nothing else. And they do understand 'more RAM' and know that's a good thing.

This years iPad update is huge. Software follows hardware. Can't write richer apps without the hardware to use it. Can't beef up the OS without the hardware.

I think Apple is positioning the iPad to take off into the desktop class arena. IBM coloberation. Plus the consumer market for tablets is saturated and the completion is heavy. The only area for growth is enterprise and the iPad OS and hardware was just not there.

2015 - look for more iPad-Centric OS updates. 2020 - look for a hybrid tablet OS that provides true handoff where you can actually take a document generated on your desktop and edit it on your tablet and NOT lose anything.

Unless Apple is going in this direction I don't see why they updated the iPad internals with such a jump in processor capabilities. As a pure consumption device an additional 1g of RAM would have been sufficient.

8. taedouni macrumors 65816

Honestly, I feel like this is the biggest upgrade since the iPad 2 was released.