This is too good to be true

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by plix, Apr 8, 2014.

1. plix, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014

plix macrumors member

I have been watching retina, 15' MBP lately on ebay. I add things to my watch list to keep a track of what they are selling for before I'll buy one somewhere around July or August.

A listing had a late 2013, retina 15' MBP, that was maxed out.

Battery cycle is under 50, ships with original box and everything.

I was communicating with the seller about a buy it now price, and we had a deal for about 2000, which I later stopped responding to as I realized I value Applecare way more than a 1TB SSD and a top of the line graphics card.

The listing sold for more than 2,500. However, the seller informed me that the buyer was 'no longer interested'. Why the hell did he keep bidding and then decided 'no'? As for the seller, he has more than 100 reputation points (100%).

He has told me that it is in excellent condition (basically new like he told me) with no scratches or dents. Does something seem fishy? Oh and it does come with more than 6 months left of apple's 1 year warranty.

2. chabig macrumors 68040

It sounds fishy. I recommend staying far away.

3. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

What's fishy about it? And if you get a second chance offer and you buy through eBay you're 100% protected as the buyer anyway.

Don't buy it outside of eBay but if it's a second chance offer through eBay, nothing to lose.

4. plix, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014

plix thread starter macrumors member

Okay I see where both of you are coming from.

Another seller a few days ago (with 0 feedback) offered me the same price for the same specs. He emailed me and asked me that he would ship to Canada but wouldn't do paypal due to 'unserious buyers that resulted in his paypal account blocked for 45 days'. He then eventually asked me to pay via western union, which at that point I called ebay and reported him.

Edit: I just got off the phone with ebay. They told me that the listing should be specific, and in this case his listing is specific but when it comes to the laptop's condition then there is nothing. I obviously asked him about the condition, and I think I covered the basics (dead pixels; battery cycle count; scratches/dents; if upgrades were done all through Apple when initially bought; comes with box and original everything).

They told me that if something is wrong, which he told me via PM is in excellent condition and also if he did not bother to note the damage/not so excellent condition in the listing itself, then that would be used against him if a dispute was to open.

I think I'm going to go for it, only if its obviously done through paypal.

5. plix thread starter macrumors member

Haha. Son of a bitch tried to scam me. He told me to pay him through paypal without having him relist the MBP.

I'm gonna report his little ass to ebay tomorrow.

6. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

It's always best to deal under eBay for the buyer's protection. And best to ask for the serial number for verification.