This is too much of a downgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krn, Apr 14, 2012.

1. krn macrumors newbie

I have a 13" early 2011 2.3ghz i5 macbook pro but lately have been thinking about getting the 17" pros because I got rid of my desktop. Now my macbook is the only computer that i use now. I found a used 17" macbook pro core 2 duo 2.8ghz unibody with 8gb ram from june 2009 that I am interested in for about $1100. Do you guys think that trading in the 13" i5 for the 17" core 2 duo would be too much of a downgrade? I only do the basic things like web surfing and watching movies/videos and occasionally do some photo editing stuff (nothing professional). Your advises would be appreciated.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Keep the current one and buy a large monitor instead.

3. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

It would be a pretty big downgrade for you. That being said, if you really want the 17" form factor, the C2D processor will be plenty for what you do. However bear in mind that the C2D is going to be obsolete a lot faster than a core i5. But in the end it really comes down to what you want.

4. techguy20 macrumors 6502

+1 for the external monitor.

Get a 24" external and you'll be set. When you travel, you still have the nice 15", but can turn it into a solid and powerful desktop replacement when you'e home.

5. chilly7 macrumors member

6. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Go get an external monitor. It doesn't have to be an expensive Apple monitor if you can not afford it. I'm not sure if I'm current on this, but I'm pretty sure I've heard on here more than once that features such as Airplay (which are present in the upcoming OS X) are not compatible with the duo chipsets.

You could also explore different ways of using your MacBook Pro with your HDTV, if you have one, in the meantime. There is hardware to do this on the market currently (both hard-wired and wireless, google it).

I would strongly recommend against downgrading. There are plenty of viable, more appealing options.

7. krn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies...these were all good ideas. I may have to just go with a monitor idea.

8. mark28 macrumors 68000

No it isn't. Even an iPad would be sufficient for these simple tasks.

9. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Core i5 to C2D is a downgrade anyway you look at it.

10. mark28 macrumors 68000

The difference between a 13" 2011 MBP and 17" 2009 MBP is only the CPU? :eek:

If an iPad is fast enough for these types of things, a C2D is already overkill. It won't even be using half the power. I don't see a real world downgrade for what he needs.

11. jevel macrumors regular

If you only do the things you describe here, the only thing I'd be concerned about is how long you would be planning to have the computer. An i5 based MBP would probably last longer in terms of which revision of OS X it will support.

If this isn't important for you, I'd choose the 17" any day.

-KJ

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Definitely go with a larger monitor over downgrading. You will notice and regret the performance degradation

I have a 13" MBP and I use a larger monitor.

13. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

The core i series is MUCH much faster than a core2 particularly when dealing with video, which is one of your tasks...

14. krn thread starter macrumors newbie

The fact about airdrop and use of lion is another concern. But that extra screen space is very tempting...Thanks for the replies though. I have to give this some more thought.

15. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

You won't notice a difference in watching videos at all. The C2D is still capable of the tasks you mentioned. I doubt you tax your processor now with those tasks. My only concern would be what, if any warranty remains on the older computer. If that does not concern you, than Id say go ahead with it. The older processor will still handle photo editing with no problem, and even light video editing should be no problem.

16. riveting macrumors 6502

Does not make sense to downgrade, you need to think about future rather than now. Core 2 duo maybe enough for your current task, but it will be outdated much sooner than core i7, and resale value depreciate faster as well.

17. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

Do you feel that your 13" is too small of a screen? If that is the only reason, I would also suggest buying an external monitor. Your tasks won't be an issue for either computer. The larger issue is that you are trading a good computer for one that might have issues.

18. lamboman macrumors 6502

As everybody else has said, the larger monitor. Unless you absolutely need the extra real estate on the move, you'll be taking two depreciation hits, and a pretty large performance hit (though you won't always notice this).