Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Link

Operation removes "Second Head", yes an "extra" one, from a little girl! And you thought only guys had 2 heads!

It is glorious that things like this can be corrected! Just amazing! Also sad if the other "twin" was able to be aware. Very happy/sad.

Attachments

• mdf865759[1].jpg
    mdf865759[1].jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 220

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Omg. There should be a warning for these types of postings. I was eating! I almost threw up! :mad:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Totally bizarre...you have to wonder if the other head was alive and able to have cognitive functions, know what was going on and interact with the envirnoment....its kind of sad too.

D

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
Lacero said:
Omg. There should be a warning for these types of postings. I was eating! I always threw up! :mad:
Yeah it's not something that I would want to see with out warning but it's on the my.yahoo.com most emailed pictures section so it can't be that bad.

Attachments

• my.yahoo.jpg
    my.yahoo.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 71

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Sorry about the gross part of that! I know how somethings can affect me, didn't think of this as that, SORRY!

edit: stuck a caution, exclamation on it.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I am still going to sue, for posting that with no warning and just leave that image as a link! :D

That is disgusting anyway. Could we have a disgusting images forum here?

PS: I love taking advantages of teasing the idiot suits.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hmmm...I guess this is happy in that it looks like this girl might be all right...but there was a brain inside that other head....wow, sad. :( I guess it's better that some life truly live, but still sad.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Lacero said:
Omg. There should be a warning for these types of postings. I was eating! I almost threw up! :mad:

i am sorry but why is human evolution/mutation revolting......If you have to critizise this please go somewhere else....Do you have a problem with people that are a bit different to you and me.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
It's real, all right. All too real. Can you imagine being the doctor delivering that kid and seeing that?

I heard something on CNN about the second head blinking and smiling but that those functions were being controlled by the first head.

Glad the operation was successful, though.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
I actually kind of wish that there were more pictures... looks really interesting.

Also, performing an operation like this would be so horrible... I mean, not only would you have to be unbelievably careful to hopefully avoid killing the regular child, but also... the other piece had a brain, and was able to move and such... I can't imagine it.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I doubt the other head was able to do much, think, etc.
View it as this, instead of a "head":
It is just a tumor, a growth, an unwanted (albeit large) piece of skin.
Taken from that angle, it was just a tricky operation.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
These things happen and are very sad.
In places where people can easily get to a hospital to get an echo now and then to see what's going on. 'Abnormalities' (don't want to start a discussion on the contents of that word) will be seen very early, and maybe an abortion would be 'advised' by the doctor (this is a toppic prolly worth it's own thread). On the other hand, for some medical issues the foetus can be operated on. Inside there that is - which is quite nice i'd say.

When a baby like this, or like others ís born i'm very happy for the parents and the kid(s) if at least one of them gets saved.
But it looks a bit creepy indeed.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Such a very sad story. Very happy that Manar is improving. A very difficult thing with which to deal, especially when the head that couldn't sustain independent life would a times smile and wink. My prayers go out to Manar, her parents, family, and friends.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
dferrara said:
It looks Photoshopped... or censored, or something.

Yeah, I think it was Photoshopped too. Just another stupid journalist making up a story to boost their pathetic career.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
wow, i wonder how often things like this happen, but we don't hear about it, i just hope that the kid is alright

looks like the mother was going to have twins, but the second one didnt make it, and that the split obviously didnt complete, thats sad

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
That's pretty freaky. To think the other head was alive and conscious, so meaning the head had a soul, but no body in which to sustain life. Seriously, that is freaky.

fuzzwud

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2004
Houston
i read, on CNN i think, that this was a very complex surgery. they had to separate the nerves, blood vessels, and muscles. the doctors had to keep Manar's blood pressure from increasing too much once they removed the extra head. if they weren't careful,. then Manar could have had a cardiac arrest.

wasn't there another baby born similar to this a few months ago?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Lacero said:
That's pretty freaky. To think the other head was alive and conscious, so meaning the head had a soul, but no body in which to sustain life. Seriously, that is freaky.

It wasn't really alive and conscious so much as it was 'repeating' the actions that the original head was sending to it.

Consider my above post. It is really a soul, a complete being? Or is it a abnormal growth?

Just something to think about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.