This is upgrade worth for me to wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macsforcollege?, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Macsforcollege? macrumors regular

Im going to college next month. This is my first mac so i want to have time to learn everything about it. Im not a big computer person. So i know this upgrade should have
    -New keyboard
    -Trackpad
    -Case( no more plastic)
    -better screen

Those are the big things for me.. Is that worth waiting for it?? I want to have it by Aug. I want to have a lot of time with it... What do you think? Wait until Mid-Aug or the one that is out is good enough?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This upgrade is not set to have anything.

New keyboard? No.
    Bigger trackpad? We don't know.
    Aluminum? We don't know.
    Better screen? We don't know.

If you can wait, do.

3. Breegy macrumors 6502

Breegy

It's worth waiting for if we were sure it would have those things. But we aren't.

Personally, I don't know if I'm going to wait yet or not. When I have the money in the bank account, I might not want to wait anymore. I'll just decide when I get there, just in case an update is before that date. But when I get there, if there are more rumors and I just have a feeling, I might wait just yet.

Just depends on how bad you want/need it.

4. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Don't you just love when all these rumors suddenly become fact? I guess if you hear it enough, eventually you'll start to take it as a matter of fact. And then of course you're let down when Apple doesn't pull through.

Do you know how many people are going to be pissed when the next MacBook spin isn't aluminum? It doesn't matter how technologically advanced the thing is, it will pale in comparison to the fact that Apple somehow "dropped the ball". Can you imagine?

Like the iPhone 3G, it doesn't matter how awesome it is, people still bitched about the fact that it didn't have the long-rumored video chat function.

Sorry. I better stop before I get carried away....

5. i eversaw macrumors regular

i eversaw

Hey guys, first post! I'm in the market for a new computer and I would love to make the switch (finally) and get a macbook!

I do hope they release an upgraded macbook before the school special, but if it comes down to September, I may have to cave :rolleyes:

6. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Definitely wait.

The new macbook will have:

New Trackpad
    LED Screen
    Illuminated Keyboard
    Aluminum Construction
    Upgraded Processor
    Better Graphics Card

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Thank you. Thank you on behalf of all the mods and older (in posts and wisdom, not age) MacRumors member for NOT making your own thread about this. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts, and I hope that the MacBook/Pro updates are sooner rather than later.

8. usl57 macrumors newbie

Buy now or Wait

I am also going to college this fall and i also decided to wait for the new
    macbook(Montevina). However, on past monday, i purchased my first macbook rather than waiting till the last minute for several reasons.

I am happy and satisfy with the current macbook's
    design, speed, hard drive, and screen.

I personally really like the current macbook (plastic) design. So i really didn't want the new macbook if it was going to come out with the aluminum design. Additionally, the current processor Penryn is a fast processor and the update on Montevina won't be sigificantly faster. The biggest hard drive option is 250 GB and i think the capacity is adequate for the most people. Lastly, the Glossy screen is fine and it shouldn't be the reason why you are waiting for the new macbook. The screen is bright, rich, and vibrant. As an average student, i use the macbook to watch movies, surf on the Internet, homework, and listen to the music. If the same thing applies to you, do not hesitate to purchase the macbook now!

My conclusion is that you should go head and purchase the macbook now rather than waiting till end of the August. Plus, if this is your first mac, i strongly recommend to purchase the macbook at least a week before the school starts. That way, it will give you some time to adjust to the macbook.

I hope this helps!:)

9. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I will be using it the same reasons as you. Im very tempted to go out and get it very soon. Like this weekend. I think the current one is good enough but i dont want it to be outdated and forgotten by apple once the new one comes out. I agree though, i will need a good amount of time to learn everything about it. I go to school end of Aug so i want to have about a month. So i might get it soon. But might not use it everyday. So i can keep it new!! lol

10. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

if you need anymore advice, i would definitely buy it before the new one comes out. this is a common pattern where they give you discounts on a merchandise and then come out with a enchanced version of it. the deal that they have this summer is unbelievable. free ipod touch with a $100 off for college students, also you can get a free printr($100). if you sell the ipod touch and printer you would probably save $300-400. where as when the new macbook comes out, those deal are off, except the college discount i'm assuming.

11. Deschain macrumors member

Here was my reasoning about going with the current Macbook.

I could either go with ordering a Macbook now, get a $100 printer free and a $419 Ipod Touch for $100 (i went with 16gig instead of 8) or i could wait and get a newly designed Macbook.

New keyboard -- haven't heard much about it and i have no qualms with the current keyboard

New multi touch pad -- i've used an Air, i can't see myself using the gestures that often so it is in no way a deal breaker, plus 9 times out of 10 i want an external mouse when i'm working

New Screen -- this was a tough call, side by side a current MB and MBP the new screens of the Pros are very nice, however the MB screens are still fine, unless you're looking at them side by side it is hard to complain about the MB screen

New Case -- I like the macbook cases better then the MBP. If they went to a case like the MBP i wouldn't be interested, although i admit a black aluminum case would be good looking.

I needed a new printer and wanted a new ipod to replace my 2nd gen Nano so the back to school deal was perfect to me.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The thing about Aluminum cases is that your WiFi reception is far worse than the current plastic case. I would easily take a non-metal case first; assuming that the plastic case looks good.

13. thecartoonguy macrumors 6502a

thecartoonguy

You forgot the free keelber elf, and it will fart rainbows

14. Holmes89 macrumors regular

Holmes89

I wonder if they will do something like they did with the iPod Touch and have a little plastic corner or something to improve wireless.

15. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

source?

16. ace86 macrumors newbie

Or like they did with the last aluminum PowerBooks? I'm not saying I'd be unhappy with that sort of design decision for the MacBook, but I think it would be remarkably similar to the 12" PB. My feeling is that they will want to take this in a different direction, but it's just a guess.

17. Tomass04 macrumors newbie

All I know is I will be buying one before the school speical for the free ipod is up. If the new one is out by then great but if not oh well I got a free ipod touch.

18. Jak3 macrumors regular

Lucky you...I really want the new screens, so I will be waiting for those...but if by december there is no word on them, I will be royally upset... :(

If they do by chance upgrade the GFX card to the newest integrated ones, I will also be ecstatic, because the games I want to play run on the current ones and a little more power is always a good thing:D

19. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

not sure about all of it, but apple ordered A LOT of LED screens a while ago, and they're SPECULATED to be used for the a redesigned macbook. there's a MR post about it somewhere...

better processor/graphics card- Montevina's release. this is pretty much a gimmie; i doubt apple will "skip" on this new technology.

20. Jak3 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure the MR post said LCD screens, not LED screens...

but I hope you are right in any case!

21. Aztec macrumors regular

Just to clear things up a little bit...

The screens are still LCD. The LED comes in play in the backlighting only. So the screens are basically LED backlit.

22. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

C'mon, really!

Get serious dude! I have it on top-secret authority that the fart function will only be available on the MBP until at least summer '09. The elf, of course, will be standard with all new MB models.;)

23. thecartoonguy macrumors 6502a

thecartoonguy

BAAAAA HA HA HA HA :D

24. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

I need to buy 2 refurbs, so any time you wanna drive those prices down a little further Apple ;)

25. Holmes89 macrumors regular

Holmes89