This is weird... (false "no internet connection" message)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TheKingIV, Aug 7, 2009.

1. TheKingIV macrumors member

So, I just did the update last night, and I think after that my internet stopped working...It was late, so I just went to sleep.

This morning, I wake up and open Firefox...Internet not working...Even though I know it won't work, I open my remote desktop connection and try to log on to my work computer using the wi-fi in my apartment...Well, for some reason that worked.

I am typing this message right now through a remote connection, but using the same wi-fi that firefox and safari tell me that is no internet connections when I try to open it up from my computer.

To make it even weirder, I opened quicken on my computer here and tried to download transactions, and not only did it download them, but it took me to the actual bank site and I could navigate all over it...But when i tried to go to a different website, it did the exact same thing and stalled out again.

How can I use this internet connection to log on remotely and use the internet remotely, but on local programs, it tells me I have no internet connection?

2. 3rdnfnlbst macrumors newbie

there is an issue with 10.5.8 It somehow kills your wifi adapter when you do not have your laptop plugged into a power source. Trying plugging it in and see what happens. I am having the same issue as you.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I think I'll hold off on updating my MBP to 10.5.8 since I use it on wi-fi most of the time and not on battery

4. Prospekt macrumors regular

I think this is a somewhat large problem. Both macbooks in my house have this issue, the wifi only really connects when it's plugged in.

5. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

My friend Kevin has a uMB and his wireless has also suffered under the .8 update. On the other hand my srMB has actually got better reception! Little bit odd there methinks.

6. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

It's strange because having the power plugged in or not doesn't make a difference.

I am still on my remote connection to work because trying to use any internet browser just locally on my computer is not working...

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No problems using AirPort on battery after .8 update. Have you tried it in a new user to see if that happens there too?

8. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

Yea... Still wont work. Now my airport won't connect at all. Typing this from my iPhone.

9. timestoby macrumors 6502

after the update my wirelss is acting funny and disconn all the time,its very annoying.

i could always walk around this place with the long ethernet cable

10. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

I just got off of the phone with Apple support. I was sent up the ladder 3 times to someone that is logging these situations. They're aware of the problem, but don't really have an answer on what to do to fix it yet. I would strongly suggest holding off on the 10.5.8 update for a while!