This is what I am considering doing..advice? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lulla01, Apr 3, 2012.

1. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

So currently for the past few years I have relied on 3 devices for computing purposes. I owned a 21.5 iMac and loved it then switched to a 27 which I loved even more. Additionally I own a macbook air, the newest model. I also own a brand new iPad. I am considering two possible things to try and simplify myself to using two devices.

Option 1
    -Ditch the laptop and just use my iPad with a newly released iMac, pending its a great update.

Option 2
    -Ditching the iMac and grabbing a 27 inch cinema display along with the new macbook pro models once they are released. I will probably buy the highest end 15 inch model and pair it with the cinema display to fill the void which my iMac left. I will additionally keep using my iPad whenever I don't have my laptop.

What do you guys think. I am tired of having to many toys, three cell phones, iPad laptop iMac, I want to simplify my life and just have 2-3 powerful devices.
    I also can't seem to ditch my blackberry even though i have an iPhone. BBM to me is crucial as well as that keyboard, i Love it.

2. NightRyder macrumors newbie

Depends on a few questions;

1. Do you use you're desktop more than you're macbook, or visa versa?
    2. Do you use you're macbook more than you're ipad, or visa versa?
    3. If you use you're desktop and ipad more, can you go without you're macbook?

Personally, I would ditch the iPad in favour of an 11" Macbook Air, and use that for university, and general web browsing around the flat.

This is, however, because i am a University student and my needs will probably be different to yours.

3. Kryptik.Kode macrumors member

Kryptik.Kode

I have been debating the same thing as well. I have decided the best combination for me will be iMac + iPad.

I voted iMac over MBP because I need something to host my iTunes collection for my ATV. The iMac provides access to bigger storage by default and less wire and clutter on my desk while connected. The MBP + Thunderbolt Display has more wires and clutter. For couch web surfing I will use my iPad.

The decision basically came down to whether or not the iPad satisfies my mobile needs and it does. Therefor, iMac + iPad = perfect for me.

4. Kafka, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

Kafka macrumors 6502

Please tell me you're not a native english speaker.

To OP:
    I kinda have the same issue, want to keep things as minimal as possible and can't decide to go the iMac+iPad route or MBP only...

Many people seem to be looking for advice on this issue, and similar topics appear regularly and it always ends up like: what do YOU prefer/need?

Personally I think I'll go MBP 15" only, but my stuff will only be used inside my home. I actually almost bought a current base 15", thinking I'd jump on the redesign in a year or two, but those "glareless" glass rumors got me thinking again... Hate the grey bezel.

5. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

It's all about what you DO with the MBA. If you use it for consumption and/or presentation and/or casual gaming, you can completely replace it with the iPad. If you use it for light content creation, you can replace it with the iPad plus a bluetooth keyboard. If you use it for heavy consumption or "Tier 1" gaming, you'll need a full-fledged laptop of some description.

6. smali macrumors regular

Please tell me you have a life.

7. Kafka macrumors 6502

Hehe couldn't help it, I'll never get used to this sort of things...
    But note that I'm not only being anal, I'm actually helping him get it right next time. :D

8. NextGenApple macrumors regular

I say give all your money to Apple because you clearly have a need to have latest & greatest. Your addiction is not good at all. Very sad. Worshiping material things. Sorry for the truth.

9. Kafka macrumors 6502

Wait, what?
    This is a "you're/your" thing, what the hell are you talking about.

10. lulla01 thread starter macrumors 68020

lulla01

great to know, go meditate or something

11. NextGenApple macrumors regular

Shame on me. Looool very sorry was not intended for use. Was for OP.

12. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

...this sort of thing... (singular)

or

...these sorts of things... (plural)

But note that I'm not only being anal, I'm actually helping him get it right next time. :D

13. NightRyder macrumors newbie

Oh god, now I'm quite embarrassed, however Santabean just counter-acted you're grammar Nazism.

14. Kafka macrumors 6502

Poor thread...
    (I'm french and am not very good at english so I don't really care, but I think you are mistaken: both seem to be correct ;))

----------

It's not even grammar, it's totally different words ffs.
    The worse thing is I didn't truly mean to embarrass you, nor to ruin this thread, but I just can't stand this kind of mistakes :)

Oh well sorry OP.

15. Kryptik.Kode macrumors member

Kryptik.Kode

16. All Taken macrumors 6502a

If you don't like a thread then leave it be, you can't be this way on the internet as it will drive you insane. Just ignore and move on.