Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
I've been trying to find just a simple, basic shell for the back of my ipad 2 that is thin, see-through, and will work with the smart cover. I just ran across this....

http://www.thejoyfactory.com/products/protection/smartfit2-41.html

It's inexpensive, and available soon on Amazon (probably at a slight discount). I'm not crazy about the big logo in the corner, but as Steven Wright said, "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?"

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Yeah, I didn't see it on Amazon, but that's one of the many places that they list under "where to buy". I was hoping to pre-order one there, but it's not listed yet. It says that they will be available on April 1st. Even if it's ordered through their website, that's still cheaper than a lot of the alternatives I've seen floating around this forum.

Pottsie1

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
Indianapolis
I've been trying to find just a simple, basic shell for the back of my ipad 2 that is thin, see-through, and will work with the smart cover. I just ran across this....

http://www.thejoyfactory.com/products/protection/smartfit2-41.html

It's inexpensive, and available soon on Amazon (probably at a slight discount). I'm not crazy about the big logo in the corner, but as Steven Wright said, "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?"

GREAT IDEA! I like the Smart Blazer which is great if you haven't bought a Smart Cover. I may return my Smart Cover, but I still have to have some protection if I'm going to wait 4-5 weeks for shipping.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I like the style of that case too, except for the stupid logo. :(

Its weird because in the main overview image it looks like there's a cutout for the smart cover but in the closeup images it looks like there is no cutout.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Those two cases look basically the same to me, except for the logo which both companies have on them.

Although the Joyfactory case does look a little better to my wallet.

(and I did write to the company and ask them about whether there is a cutout for the Smart Case magnets to make full contact.)

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
This is definitely not the kind of case anyone should be looking at if they are accident-prone. This is really something to prevent scratches and not have to worry about the ipad when you put it down.

I was interested in the Marware Microshell as well, but the new ipad is just so amazing looking that I don't really want to cover the back up with a black shell. Thin and see-through works for me.

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Two problems I have with it are the logo and the price. I feel like simple back shields like this should be priced at the sub-$20 point when some of the full cases start at the $30 point.

dand1996

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2009
I like this one except for the slits in the corners - I think if I go with black I'll get the Marware Microshell - they don't cut corners :rolleyes:

I have the xGear case on order and it's scheduled to start shipping march 31, I will report back when it arrives.

@dpdesilva

Lindat

macrumors member
May 10, 2009
If you buy this, can you feed back what you think of it?

I really love this cover for the back of the ipad 2.
As it works with the Apple Smart Cover, its pretty perfect in my opinion.
If you buy this, can you let us all know what you think of it?

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
I was actually going to order the joy factory case yesterday, but going through the checkout process, I just got put off by the shipping and handling charges. First of all, there's the tax (which is negligible) but over 8 dollars for the cheapest shipping charge?? Come on! It's not like I can't afford another 8 bucks, but that's just too much for a piece of plastic for me. The most expensive shipping options was over 30 dollars ... more than the cost of the case itself. I'll just wait until amazon or macmall has it in stock and get it there.

BTW, I was curious as to just how thin both of these cases really are. I want the thinest clear case possible to retain the actual beauty and the form of this new ipad. The joy factory lists theirs as being 0.9mm and the email I just got back from XGear says that theirs is "less than 2mm thick". I do think the joy factory is the way to go .... provided one isn't accident prone and just wants to protect the back from scratches.

Last edited:

JessicaR

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
Personally, I like the pink Ipadcase from Malware It cost a bit more ($40) but I am a fan of pink. It does come in other colors but in my opinion, you can't go wrong with a polycarbonate shell for protecting your ipad.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I want.....thanks!

I like the smart case, and this is the way i'm going to go. But is it right?

I'd like for somebody else find out first :D ...........But alas, this would be me i'm afraid :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.