This Is What MCell Is

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jul 15, 2009.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

A lot of people have started to see MCell appear next to the ATT logo since the second beta of 3.1. MCell is basically giving you 3G service from a broadband connection, if you or someone has a MCell router. 3.1 is simply now able to tell you if you're running off of regular 3G from a cell tower or from a router that gives off a 3G signal. MCell is useful if you get bad service around your house or office and you want to make 3G service usable.

2. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Cool!

3. angle macrumors regular

So where do we buy these particular routers, or when will they become available?

4. SeanMcC macrumors regular

T-Mobile has HotSpot @Home , Sprint has AIRAVE , and Verizon has its Wireless Network Extender.

AT&T 3G MicroCell acts like a mini cellular tower in your home or small business environment. It connects to AT&T's network via your existing broadband internet service (such as DSL or cable) and is designed to support up to 10 3G capable wireless phones in a home or small business setting. With AT&T 3G MicroCell, you receive improved cellular signal performance for both voice calls and cellular data applications, like picture messaging and surfing the web for up to 4 simultaneous users.

Date/Price unavailable. (This info has been around since Jan 09)

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/25/details-on-atandts-3g-microcell-everything-but-the-date-and-pric/

5. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

"If you or someone" ...

So are people using their neighbours' MCell routers? Secured/locked down or not?

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

better explained!

Via Google Search! ;)

What is an AT&T 3G MicroCell™?

AT&T 3G MicroCell acts like a mini cellular tower in your home or small business environment. It connects to AT&T's network via your existing broadband internet service (such as DSL or cable) and is designed to support up to 10 3G capable wireless phones in a home or small business setting. With AT&T 3G MicroCell, you receive improved cellular signal performance for both voice calls and cellular data applications, like picture messaging and surfing the web for up to 4 simultaneous users.

Device Features:

* Enhanced coverage indoors - supports both voice and data up to 5000 square feet.
    * Available unlimited minute plans - Individual or Family Plan.
    * 3G handset compatible - works with any AT&T 3G Phone.
    * Up to 4 simultaneous voice or data users supported.
    * Device is secure - cannot be accessed by unauthorized users, easy and secure online management of device settings
    * Seamless call hand-over - start calls on your 3G MicroCell and continue uninterrupted even if you leave the building.

Device Requirements:

* 3G wireless phone/device
    * Broadband service over DSL or cable
    * Computer with internet access for online registration

Additional Information:

* Installing your device near a window is strongly recommended to ensure access to Global Positioning System (GPS). A GPS link is needed to verify the device location during the initial startup.
    * The 3G MicroCell device is portable. The device may be moved, provided the new location is within the AT&T authorized service area and properly registered online.

* Read
    * 96 Comments
    * X Share
    o Email this
    o Digg
    o Facebook
    o Twitter
    o Yahoo Buzz
    o Reddit
    o StumbleUpon

7. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

What I want to know is why during a bus ride in Houston that I had AT&T M-Cell for a large part of the time? A bug in 3.1b2 maybe?

8. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

MCell

I'm waiting for mine to arrive. I thought it was going to be today but most likely tomorrow. I'm lucky enough to get mine free as a tester. I get the worst signal in my place. I'm in Buckhead Atlanta.

I think they asked me because I bitched so much about the service. I just wish it would get here so I can start making calls again!

9. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Maybe the bus had an MCell router? I doubt it, though.

10. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

So my MCell did show up today. It took a while to get it up and running but I got it working no problems now. Making calls and using data at the same time. And the nice thing is full bars! Finally!

I can now roam all over my apartment for once and not drop a call.

Attached Files:

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

12. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

Well, it seems that the rest of the world uses femtocell...just at&t calling it what they want

13. njl macrumors regular

i would hope these cell companies are providing these units for free due to them not having the appropriate infrastructure in the first place. :-/

14. amorican macrumors member

amorican

With Sprint all I had to do was talk to retentions, as my old phone with them got 1 or no bars in my house. They gladly sent me one for free. I would think that At&t will do the same. If I'm paying close to 100 dollars a month for a phone, it needs to work in my place of residence, that is not unreasonable at all.

15. calvy macrumors 65816

I know you're going to love this. But I'm pretty sure I've read AT&T will charge a monthly fee for their femtocell equipment.

16. amorican macrumors member

amorican

So does Sprint, but I got them to waive the fee and give me the airave for free. It's amazing what threatening to cancel a ten year old line can get you. Again, I don't find what I did to be unreasonable. When I pay for service and I don't get it at my house, if they have a solution, there is no reason I should be charged for it. I hope AT&T feels the same, but I won't count on it. It will be worth a try.

17. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

MCell sounds kind of cool (especially if free) but are there any health-related implications? And trust me, no tin foil hat here and not worried about SAR-ring my head through, but this does seem like a stronger repeating device. People choose not to live right under cell towers, usually.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's a low power device. It's no different than having a wireless router in your house

19. hp200lx macrumors regular

What is this picture messaging is says it can help us Iphone users with? ...I have never heard of such a thing :p

20. MavsX macrumors member

MavsX

pretty sweet. i will have to check this out. thanks.

21. SeanMcC macrumors regular

22. gambler46 macrumors newbie

M-cell from AT&terrable

I had to buy one of these M-cell devices because I have such poor coverage at my home, and many many many other places with this AT&T bunch. The M-cell, after being set up, is suppose to connect automatic when you get near it. It does not work that way for me. I have to turn my iPhone 3g coverage off and on several times before it picks up the M-cell. I can not wait for Apple to allow Verizon or others to support the iPhone. Never again will I use AT&T.

23. fuzion macrumors 6502

Is everything setup correctly? Do you have roaming turned on? Is your phone properly registered w/ the femtocell unit?