This is what Orange Israel think if the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FullGaz, May 26, 2008.

1. FullGaz macrumors member

About a week ago, when I read that Orange was going to officially import the iPhone to several new countries (see here) I thought to myself that this is sweet, maybe they'll import it to my country as well, Israel.
    Of course, on the list provided by Orange, there are Egypt and Jordan, two neighboring countries, but no Israel.
    So I wrote to them. This is our brief exchange:

Me:
    Dear sir/madam According to an official announcement made by
    Orange on 16 May 2008, your company will bring the iPhone to a number of new countries. Israel is not one of the countries on that list. Why is that? Is there another program or plan for Israel? People in many countries will enjoy the possibility to buy an iphone without any ties to a plan. Will we be given that possibility as well should Orange bring the iPhone to Israel? Thank you in advance for answering my concerns. Regards,

Orange: (emphasis added)
    In reply to your question, I would like to explain that we here at orange are constantly performing quality checks for many new handset models, in order to offer our customers the handsets which will best suit them.
    However, I would like to note that iPhone handset is currently not sold or permitted for use in orange.
    For full information regarding our currently sold handsets [...]
    I hope you'll make the best out of orange's advanced services.

Me, responding:
    Dear Sir,
    Millions of iPhones have been sold so far and millions more are expected to be sold worldwide. According to your explanation, do I understand that this handset is not good enough for the Israeli market? Also, since Orange is a major iPhone reseller in countries such as France and soon Egypt, Jordan and others, why won't Orange in Israel endorse this product? Is it possible that Orange's network doesn't meet the minimum standards needed to operate this product?
    Lastly, is your position the official Orange position or only that or Orange Israel?
    Regards,

Orange, again:
    In reply to your question, I would like to explain again, that we at orange Israel, are constantly performing quality checks for many new handset models, in order to offer our customers the handsets which will best suit them.
    However, I would like to note that iPhone handset is currently not sold or permitted for use in orange.
    For full information regarding our currently sold handsets, please follow this link for orange's handset catalog.
    For further information [...]
    I hope you'll make the best out of orange's advanced services.
    kind regards,
    Naomi Soesan

Interesting answers from Orange... I'd love to know if Apple had something to do with that also...
    Of well, I'll be getting my iPhone V2 next July, probably from the US, and I sure won't be using 'Orange's advanced services!'

2. neven macrumors 6502a

Good work, but I don't find that answer very interesting... sounds like a template they would send out whatever device you inquired about.

3. phinnaeus macrumors member

Sounds like a load of 100% pure, weapons-grade balonium. It seriously looks like they just copied and pasted those sentences.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes it does.

If Orange already supports the iPhone in other countries, I wonder why not in Israel?

5. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

aaah why is it so hard to understand??

CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS DONT KNOW ABOUT THESE THINGS... THEY ARE TOLD WHEN THE PUBLIC ARE ALBEIT A FEW DAYS...

6. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

PS - the title of your thread makes it sound as if Orange Israel has something personally against the iPhone haha.

7. ACDeag macrumors regular

Orange Israel is not part of the International Orange group owned by France Telecom. The name is licensed by Orange Israel, France Telecom have no shareholding in them and therefore would not announce anything on their behalf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Israel